Crass sounds at high frequencies with DJ equipment

tallchicago

On certain records I play, there's this very harsh/crass sound (almost like static) on high frequency sounds like hi-hats and claps. Instead of the sound itself, there's this fuzzy noise around it, making an almost clipping noise. Vocals also get fuzzy when they reach a certain level as well. The odd thing is that this doesn't occur with all my records, just a few.

Could this be due to my needles? Could this be a turntable problem? I use a groovemaster and groovemaster II on 1200's. The cdj attached to my mixer sounds fine, so I don't think it's a mixer issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mitchell

i used to run groovemasters and although i never had the problems you describe, i noticed they were grinding my records to dust. then i stepped up to ortofons and have been happy ever since. if you can, try using a friends carts on your setup with the problem records and see if your carts are the problem. also, how often do you clean your styli? a build up on them may be causing the problem with poorly pressed records. - jeff h

dynagroove said:
i used to run groovemasters and although i never had the problems you describe, i noticed they were grinding my records to dust. then i stepped up to ortofons and have been happy ever since. if you can, try using a friends carts on your setup with the problem records and see if your carts are the problem. also, how often do you clean your styli? a build up on them may be causing the problem with poorly pressed records. - jeff h

Thanks for responding. Groovemasters eat up vinyl? NOOOOO!! I just dropped cash on them not too long ago. My method for cleaning the needles is to blast them with compressed air when I see something on it. Other than that, nothing. Can you recommend a good product? I think I'm going to have to drop more cash for high quality needles.

Probably a combination of worn/dirty/incorrectly set-up cartridge or just badly mastered/pressed records.
The first point you can probably do something about - but there are records that will always sound a bit crap whatever you do.

I'm going to buy a pair of Shure M44-7s tonight and see what happens. After reading up on the Groovemasters, I don't think I should be using them anymore.

Most likely a combination of a poor pressing and too much/too little weight on the cartridge.

Same for me

I have a pair of technics turntables 1210 / a mixer xone 42 / a pair of monitoring R5...every thing is only 6 months old

But now since 10 days I can describe the same issues with the sound quality (fuzzy noise around it, making an almost clipping noise) which do not let me beatmacth correctly as before.

The sound comes crass on high frequency sounds like hi-hats and claps. I can also notice a loss in terms of gain even if I turn the master at its maximum level.

I have changed my needles but it did not do that much. As soon as I wanna drop my second track, its a mess and I can just blend anymore two tracks as I was doing for weeks before.

I am only playing with vinyls and connected with RCA cables.

Have you got any suggestions? Shall I check these cables and change for XLR?

Thanks for your help

Have u tried checking the RCAs? Make sure it's plugged in properly, sometimes I face this problem and all I do was pull out the RCA's, and plug it in back properly and it worked like a charm.

Hi DarkRave,

Here is some update about my issue that I am still facing more or less for now 2 weeks.

I am investigating and trying to eliminate all the possibilities.

First, I have plugged my computer into the mixer set up in Line mode and it worked perfectly fine.

Secondly, I have bought new XLR cables to connect the mixer to the speakers but it did not make a big difference.

And the most impressive, I brought to my closest DJ shop one of my cartridge (Ortofon Pro S) and when the guy tested with his SERATO software, the result was positive !!!

So having eliminated the mixer, the speakers and the carts, the only thing left are the TT themselves.

HOW COME 2 new technics 1210 can short down after 6 months? and where about? The tonearms? The 4 gold pins inside? the RCA cables?

For sure its not the earth wires, coz it sounds absolutely different than a static issue.

I got still a bit of hope since last saturday I rubbed with a pencil rubber my carts pins and during 2/3 hours it went back to normal and I could enjoy as before. But then again, loss in the sound gain on both channels, crispy and fuzzy noise !!!

I am getting more and more desperate.

J

First, I have plugged my computer into the mixer set up in Line mode and it worked perfectly fine.
You should also try a 100% certainly working tt with your mixer (maybe take it to the dj shop adn ask if you could try it out?).

Hi DarkRave,

Here is some update about my issue that I am still facing more or less for now 2 weeks.

I am investigating and trying to eliminate all the possibilities.

Secondly, I have bought new XLR cables to connect the mixer to the speakers but it did not make a big difference.

And the most impressive, I brought to my closest DJ shop one of my cartridge (Ortofon Pro S) and when the guy tested with his SERATO software, the result was positive !!!

So having eliminated the mixer, the speakers and the carts, the only thing left are the TT themselves.

HOW COME 2 new technics 1210 can short down after 6 months? and where about? The tonearms? The 4 gold pins inside? the RCA cables?

For sure its not the earth wires, coz it sounds absolutely different than a static issue.

I got still a bit of hope since last saturday I rubbed with a pencil rubber my carts pins and during 2/3 hours it went back to normal and I could enjoy as before. But then again, loss in the sound gain on both channels, crispy and fuzzy noise !!!

I am getting more and more desperate.

J
Get it checked at your retail stores..it's more safe..but still you have to hand out some money..DJ stuff are not cheap after all =="

Back