Connecting studio monitors to an audio interface to a laptop (for a noobie)

utdarsenal

Hi,

i'm about to purchase a pair of JBL LSR2325p's and I don't have the slightest idea how to connect them to my 13" macbook pro (with no firewire ports).

I don't know anything about audio interfaces nor the cables which run between laptops/audio interfaces/ studio monitors nor what they're called..

so if you guys could please help me out i'd appreciate it a lot!
these are the major issues i'm having

1) Not sure what type of audio interface I should get for the type of monitors I have and my laptop (not something too expensive. maybe something between the $100-200 range, or something very nearby). I will be using it with logic pro (if that matters)- and i don't think i'd be connecting microphones for singing nor synths to get external sounds (maybe possibly in the future but I don't think anytime soon)..

2) I have no idea how to connect studio monitors to an audio interface, nor the interface to my macbook.

-
On some other forums, someone suggested me to connect my JBL's directly into my laptop, but then I read that that would not give me the clearest sounding music coming out from my monitors, so I believe I should really invest in an audio interface or such..

if you guys could please help me out here i'd appreciate it A LOT!!! thank you !

Last edited:
Depending on what interface you get, but they should have dedicated monitor inputs on the back. You just need to plugin the speakers into the left and right speaker jacks on the interface. Connecting the interface to your Mac book isn't as hard as you think. When you buy your interface it will come with instructions. But there all basically the same when it comes to installing. Depending on what you get you may need to install drivers or software that comes with the interface. After that it's as easy as just plugging in the USB from our interface to your Mac. Then in your logic in the audio settings, you need to set the interface as your main audio drive.

Check out Presonus audio box and Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. There both under 200$

thank you very much for the info! definitely helped a lot. I did some reviews on the Focusrite Saffire 6 and it seems to be very good for the price. You think it'd work fine with Logic pro 8 and JBL LSR2325p's though?

Also, would this be the correct way to connect it?
-Buying two 1/4 inch cables
-On each monitor, connecting one 1/4 cable and leading it into the output of the saphire, then just plugging the usb into my laptop and boom?

thanks!

I'm about to order the Yamaha HS80m and I have a PreSonus audio box, what cables do I need to get the best sound out of my monitors?? thanks

Back