Concerns with Allen and Heath XONE:32 crossfader...

M

MrMilesDubert

I know this subject has been touched upon in various threads in the DJ gear forums, but I haven't observed many specific answers. I recently purchased the 32 because I thought it met all of my very specific mixer wishlist criteria (3 channel, classic 3 knob eq DJ mixer setup, solid parts, onboard filters, etc). So far, it has proved to be more than awesome, except in one regard:

I am absolutely up in arms with the crossfader action. It moves well and all, but I'm sure many of you are aware of the issues with the fade contour. I was under the impression that it was designed to be a "Techno/Scratch" mixer, implying that it would be possible to get an extremely sharp "cut" for scratching and juggling purposes, but this does not seem to be the case, as I can only accomplish a quick fade in and out at best.

If anyone has any ideas on whether or not this is remediable or if I'm going to have to just look for another mixer model (which I am extremely reluctant to do), I would really appreciate some input.

Would getting the Penny and Giles upgrade change the cut incline at all?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

The bigger Xones have two mode curve controls, and neither mode is meant for scratching. I do not think that I have ever used a 32, so I am not sure if it has the same curve, but I would guess that it does. My adivce is to find a deal on the UMX series mixers that many on this board love, and run it through a channel on the Xone.
-Peasant Nikon

I own a xone-32 and am not impressed with the cut in: its so lame that I actually use the transmute buttons for scratching. Its an awesome mixer but just doesnt cut it for scratching.

Would getting the Penny and Giles upgrade change the cut incline at all?
I dont know for 100% but Im sure its the internal circuitry that is the problem and so a P&G wouldnt help. Ask david Lee as he knows all about Xones.

The Xone:32 aint really designed to be a scratch mixer. The specific scratch mixer made by Allen & Heather is the:

Xone 02

The specific scratch mixer made by Allen & Heather
you make it sound like a married couple.

What I want to know is how much effort would it have been to put the xone-2s crossfader circuitry into the xone-32?

That my friend is called marketing. Why make a mixer that suits all, when you can make two that suit only a part of the people, and let them pay extra if they want the best of both worlds... If you want faster cut in times, you have to go the Xone:02 way.

I own a xone-32 and am not impressed with the cut in: its so lame that I actually use the transmute buttons for scratching. Its an awesome mixer but just doesnt cut it for scratching.
Are the transmute buttons a viable technique to using this mixer as a part-time scratch mixer? I'm not a scratcher at all, but if I were to mess around with it, could it produce sharp cuts via transmute buttons? I'm interested in this mixer and it seems like the perfect all rounder if scratching is capable, even if I don't use the fader like traditional djs do. Just a different method of doing it I guess.

yes you can, but for the advanced tehcniques (ie: crabs) then obviously the transmutes cant be used as effectively. I now own a Nuo-5 and rue the fact i bought that Xone.

Back