Complete Setup Help

I know this one has been beat to DEATH but I haven't found a post that reads exactly the things that I need. Ok so I got an mpc 1k the other day and I know its for sampling and drum loops and things like that but I want a sampling keyboard and the only one that keeps coming up as a "sampler" is the Asr 10. I know that these are a dying breed so I was wondering what other keyboards can I load my samples into. I want something that has a wide range. Nothing like the microkorg or microsampler. I need something that I can also come up with my melodies on not just samples. I'm not all that into controls but is there any comtrol that i can achieve my goal of sample mapping and playing regular piano sounds on? I really don't want to spend over 600 either. Can someone please compile a list of me or explain what I have to do to find one of these. PLEASE!!!!!:cry:

Last edited:
u arent going to find many samplers in the sense you are looking for because when keyboard samplers were popular u couldnt load sounds from the internet. A better idea would be imo to get something like an asr10 and build that way from external sources or getting a workstation like a fantom and building that way.

Sampling keyboards kind of got pushed aside by rack samplers, even the ASR-10 had a rack version, the only differences being the ASR-10 rack version has all the extra options already fitted as standard and it has no keyboard of it's own, so once you plug in a MIDI keyboard you're good to go.

If all you want is keys to play you can add a MIDI keyboard to your MPC and play it that way, the same way you would play an Akai rack sampler like the S1000 thus making it like the Akai S1000KB (that is ultimately just a keyboard version of the S1000). Basically what I am saying is the MPC is not limited to being a drum machine and playing loops just because it has a particular control surface permanently attached, so if you want you can load up a piano and play it with a MIDI (controller) keyboard.

I just want to be able to load the samples that I get from sample cd's or from turntable sampling to be put into the keys (keymapping). Can explain how to do this. Not any specific brands just the products and what they do. Sorry guys I'm very new to hardware

Every piece of gear is different so it depends on the hardware you want. Loading files u have bought would be easiest on a newer mpc I would suggest a 1000 or 2500 for what u want to do. Its possible on a 2000, xl 5000, 500 and 4000 also but not as easily.

Get a midi keyboard and connect it to your mpc. Load the samples to your mpc and trigger them with the keyboard instead of the pads.

Yes. There is some function for it, in my 2000xl it is called auto chromatic assign probably the same on the 1000, look it up on your manual. Basically it creates a full program from one sound. Of course, the very lows and highs will sound quite different as they are very slowed down & sped up. Works alright for simple looping singleshots, bass sounds and all that. I personally just use 16 levels with the pads.

Back