complete newbie - would like to create beats, possibly sample

e11

Can anyone recommend any equipment for starting to create beats?

I've been looking at the MPK249 as opposed to a standalone MPC because I like the ability to be able to use the keyboard for strings and baseline etc, as well as the drum pad.

Could I add a record player to the MPK and sample that way with it? I apologise if these have been asked 1000 times but I have no experience at all but have always had an interest to start.

I could get reason, but my budget would be small to begin with, which is why the £300 price tag for the MPK would be quite good, or perhaps there is a cheaper alternative that would suit my needs?

It sounds like you might be confused about Midi controllers and samplers. The MPC is a stand alone sampler that will let you sample and sequence without using a computer, The MPK is a Midi controller, that needs to be used with a computer DAW like Reason, Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio, etc. You don't have to have a record player to sample if you are using a DAW, you can use MP3 and WAV files. There are also USB record turntables that work well for sampling records into the computer. There are free DAWs like Reaper. An acceptable cheap starter setup would be a $100 USB turntable, $100 midi keys/pads, free DAW like Reaper. If you decide to go the MPC route it would be MPC $300-$1000, $50-$100 turntable and you still wouldn't have keys plus lots of cables to buy.

There are so many ways to make beats. Depends on your preference. I recommend going on you tube and spend a lot of time watching beat tutorial videos to get an idea about what method would work best for you.

I'll (again) suggest that you look at Maschine Mikro... For me it's the music technology deal of the decade...
Along with your computer (assuming it's of at least 'decent' spec), a 2in/2out soundcard and a pair of headphones - is enough to get you started quickly... Anything else can be built upon as you go.

Just be warned - resale value is rubbish on Maschine due to the hassle of de-registering the software.

That said - it's a cracking product.

The most important equipment you'll need is a good producing software which you feel you can have fun with and learn fast.

Bro, All you need to make sampled beats is a Computer/Labtop, a 25keys midi controller, and headphones. Dont need much equipments.

Thanks for all of the advice folks. A lot to look into. It's taken me almost a full week to read up on the links, advice etc. And have some more to look at with the latest responses. I agree, that Maschine Mikro looks nice. I like the timing corrections, and it is like an MPC (I'm sure there are vast differences between the 2)

I knew that the MPK would need a computer and software to create finalised beats, but does it need an interface and speakers to hear the audio? I'm just getting a checklist and prices for everything. I would certainly pay $60 to support a free DAW, being a beginner, it's better than forking out a lot more at this point in time.

Back