Chopping samples for lead melodies?

matthewm77

Does anyone know good ways to chop samples and use them as leads like in this track?

Anytime I do it, it just sounds wrong

Well... here's my opinions/tips

There's two ways to approach it... either you're building the song around the chopped vocals, or you're putting the chopped vocals on the song.

If it's the latter, you must remember that whatever vocal you're using was made in the context of some other song, so the goal is to put it in context of your song, and convince other listeners that this is apart of your song... To do that, try doing things like EQing out frequencies, adding distortion, reverb/ delay, etc, to get it to fit your song.

If you're building around the vocals... then yeah. That just takes some playing around with as well. Except then it becomes make a track to fit these vocals. And sometimes you'll start with those vocals intending for them to be a lead, but it will just end up being like a rhythmic part or something, and you'll end up using a synth sound as the lead...etc

Basically what he said ^^^^ just takes a lot of practice and experimenting xD. And there really are no rules... which means don't overthink things like "does it sound musical" or "is it in the right key," it's more like... "is this believable" ( I mean listen to "A Milli" xD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back