Choosing an audio card when recording is not important

xontm

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forums. I have a question.
How do I choose an audio card when recording with a mic or guitar is not a need.

If I wanted to record guitars I would do that with My Pod HD500 and If I wanted to record vocals I would simply not do it at home. Its too noisy.

So I really don't care about does inputs.

Also I don't car about midi inputs since every midi instrument I use is usb.

So all I care about is low latency to perform well with my DAW and VST instruments.

That's what a sound card is to me and that's what it will always be. I jsut don't care about mic/guitar inputs and I specilly do not care about midi inputs in my soundcard unless I get into a time machine and travel back to the 80s!!:p

So lets have a look at some sound cards:
-fireface 400 (The best of the best) But do I really need all this?
-apogee duet (Another great contender)
-NI komplete 6 audio (I use their software and think its Great! I use Maschine and it Rocks!) (Don't know if this sound card is any good tho.)
-roland tri-capture and duo-capture (Odd looking but cheap)

..Also please let me know if you know of any other sound cards out there that might be of interest to someone like me.

Cheers!!

Destinationup,

Thanks for the response, regarding latency. What would be the best option cutting out all the things I don't need?
I'm actually kind of interested in the Focusrite Saffire sound cards. They seem to be cheap and have what I need.
But I want something that will be able to handle very intensive VST instrument load.

Cheers!

Thanks!

That's exactly my point! If I want to record guitars or even vocals I would just rather do it with the Pod HD500.

But what I need a sound card for is for my Sequencer. I use VST instruments and effects and I need a sound card that can handle all this.
I don't need a sound card with Good preamps or AD converters. I only need a sound card to take care of my digital stuff.

Anuone out there has an opinion oin this regard??

Cheers!!

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I'm actually think I'll get the Focusrite Saffire 6. Its really cheap and seems to be an okay sound card.
It has a usb 1.1 conection. They actually say its lower latency because of this, and since I'm not using it for recording then it seems like the best solution.

What do you guys think? Is it really very low latency?

Thanks!!

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I'm actually think I'll get the Focusrite Saffire 6. Its really cheap and seems to be an okay sound card.
It has a usb 1.1 conection. They actually say its lower latency because of this, and since I'm not using it for recording then it seems like the best solution.

What do you guys think? Is it really very low latency?

Thanks!!

That's exactly my point - the POD can "handle" the digital stuff just fine - in essence it's the exact same thing as the Saffire. If you think the audio interface actually somehow helps processing your plugins and such then you have some false expectations of what an audio interface does.

Back