Changing from DAW - Live 8 and Reason 6

Hi,

I'm mainly an electronic music producer and at this point i'm working with FL studio.
Lately i've been looking at Ableton live 8 and Reason 6, both around €400...
I don't know what DAW to choose at all, i have my doubts for Reason because it doesn't
support VST's but also for Ableton i don't really know if that's what i'm searching for
because of the session view and stuff since i'm not doing any live performances (yet).
I produce dubstep/drum and bass/ house/electro, maybe that helps to choose?

Thanks

I mainly want a new DAW because i'm pretty much stuck in FL studio, i like the workflow and it
works quickly, but i keep using my same VST's and i don't feel like i'm getting the proffesional sound.
I know you get what you put in, but my samples are ok, and i have some really nice sounds, but it's just
always the same. I think my songs sound not really "human". With a new DAW i hope to get a new sound into
my songs and use the drum computers (FL doesn't have good drumcomputers in my opinion).

The problem is that i'm running on a PC with 32-bit, so i can't test Reason, if i choose to buy a
new DAW i'm going to buy a new laptop with it so that's basicly the problem, i tested Ableton live tho,
but it's hard to compare them if i only test one,... now i like Reason more but then again i've heard
people complaining that you get stuck because you only have a few synths,...

Ableton Live has audio capabilities. Also, session mode and arrangement mode work together, one is not specific for live use. They both work for arranging your ideas quickly.

I guess so:
A virtual instrument or package of instruments, controlled by MIDI data.
The plug in can be tweaked, for example change the waveforms, add filters to
make your own synth...
Is that comming close? :)

I was in the same boat. I learned all the basics in FL, but soon decided I didn't like its layout. I switched to Reason for a little while, which was good, but I also tried the demo to Live 8 and was immediately hooked. I won't even look at any other DAWs now. Just remember you can do the same thing with all of them, it's just the processes are different. Although Live is optimized for live performances, you can also switch to the arrangement view which is the same layout any other DAW has. Like the other guys said, try the demos, but as far as I'm concerned, Ableton is top shelf.

Okay thanks for the info! I'm trying Reason now and also Presonus studio one, i really like studio one actually only it doesn't really have
synths in it, it has a bunch of effects but only 1 synth wich is not really good so i'll definitly have to buy more vst's with this...
For reason, i love it, the workflow, the wiring, just so real, but then i'm concerned about the music, it's really fun to work with, but
i'm afraid that it's not gonna give me better music at the end... So It'll probably be ableton combined with FL studio!
Thanks for the info everyone!

Back