cd decks

DigitalKillaz

Hello Everybody,

I want to mix cd's at home for fun... I need something compact and tidy so an all in one unit is what I have in mind...

I play soulful house, soulful hip hop, soulful soul, broken beat, 90's d&b and of course digital reggae...

not too much into skillz like scratching, turntablism etc, mainly just fading and slamming beats across...

my budget is ideally around £250 but could stretch to more for the right kit.

my main question is who manufactures reliable kit? what names should i look out for? what names should i avoid?

I will be mainly using cdr's and i know these can damage domestic cd players...

If a cd tray breaks can they be replaced like a crossfade?

I have my eye on these units:

numark icdmix3
iCDMIX3 - Dual CD, MP3 & iPod® Performance System : CD Players : Maplin Electronics

numark mixdeck express
Numark MixDeck Express - DJ Controller and CD & Media Player : CD Players : Maplin Electronics

does anybody have any advice / recommendations?

Thanks...

industry standard i know but they don't do a combined unit like the numark and a pair + mixer won't meet the price point I don't think, funnily enough i'm about to go out and pick up the numark icdmix3... thanks

my set up is two numark ndx800's and a djm 250, very reasonable and overall good set up for just mixing at home

If you just want you to mix songs at home why not just download virtual dj to mix them together and you can pick up a m-audio x-sessions pro midi controller for around 30 bucks on ebay to use as a mixer.
No point in buying outboard equipment if you can do it all on your computer with a midi controller if you just want to make mix tapes.
Good luck.

thanks guys...

yeah the NDX series decks were an option but i really wanted an all in one solution...

my laptop is an old banger very slow and unstable and only really useful for browsing... and again laptop plus controller = 2 parts rather than 1.

i use an old desktop for production not quite ready to upgrade but when i do replace will go down the macbook road, so don't really want to be spending money on a laptop...

also i have a large cd collection which i don't really want to be converting right now...

I picked up the icdmix3 for £250 and i'm very pleased... it's great fun, very cool...

i know it may seem a bit strange to invest in mixing cd's rather than sound files but for the price and convenience it makes sense for me right now...

staying in hasn't been this much fun since i was a teenager trying to mix vinyl on beaten up beltdrives and a budget tandy mixer with an intermittent crossfader...

thanks again...

Back