Cant play YouTube while running Reason.

Johndub

I'm running Reason 8 on a Dell pc. When I'm running reason I notice all of my other sound on my computer doesn't work, which is a real problem because I can't play youtube tutorials and go through them in the DAW. Any help appreciated thx!

playback devices>properties>advanced uncheck exclusive mode[increases latency a couple ms]

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Kon! I have done this and it is still not working. The youtube videos wont play at all no video or audio, just fuzz where the video should be and "an error occurred". iTunes also wont play anything... - John

What kind of audio drivers/interface are you using? ASIO is more or less a one-program-at-a-time kinda thing.

regular asio can do this, asio4all can do this and all I have is a 2i2 and a ur22 O_O turning exclusive mode off does this O_O

focusrite asio, asio4all, steinburg ur22 what I've tested this on. No duplexmutli yatta yatta either.
My processor is an apu, not even an intel a amd cpu downclocked to 1.6 ghz a10 7850k does 64 samples with some stutterin with exclusive mode disabled.

Last edited:
regular asio can do this, asio4all can do this and all I have is a 2i2 and a ur22 O_O turning exclusive mode off does this O_O

So are you actually playing concurrent sounds from different sources at the same time or just switching between programs but not having them play at the same time? Because I'm under the impression that ASIO can't do the former without the ASIO Multi-client or a special implementation that allows it. I think exclusive mode only just stops one app from "hoarding" ASIO to itself even when it's in the background and allows switching between different programs...

Yep, what I tested with at same time:
Phantom Pain[afk resource farming]
studio one mojito on loop
youtube video of horror film the ju-on. all at same time phantom pain audio one studio one audio on and ju-on on at same time as experiment.

Ur22, even the 2i2 can do this to no multi duplex at all. Even a downclocked amd apu man.

Where do you find what audio driver you have? ..

I would be happy to just be able to switch between different programs running, as it stands now, I have to exit Reason to get youtube vids to play again etc.

AH, I tested the default windows driver and experience what you said.
I guess audio interfaces don't suffer from that but I definitely tried it and it did what you said. Even with exclusive mode off it did what you said man.

Which most likely means you might've used windows default driver realtek or something.

Ur22, even the 2i2 can do this to no multi duplex at all. Even a downclocked amd apu man.

Yeah, I've been on Macs so long that I haven't really looked into the current state of ASIO. But looks like the 2.x spec supports multiple simultaneous programs.

AH, I tested the default windows driver and experience what you said.
I guess audio interfaces don't suffer from that but I definitely tried it and it did what you said. Even with exclusive mode off it did what you said man.

Which most likely means you might've used windows default driver realtek or something.

Yep that's it. Realtek is what I see in properties. ok so what do you recommend is this an easy fix or should I just move on?..

Yeah, I've been on Macs so long that I haven't really looked into the current state of ASIO. But looks like the 2.x spec supports multiple simultaneous programs.
Yep that's it. Realtek is what I see in properties. ok so what do you recommend is this an easy fix or should I just move on?..

Never tried Osx but used windows and linux before. read somewhere apple had asio before windows did at one point.
Realtek...dam that might actually need that duplex stuff if that's the case.

I can suggest only 2 things:
stick to any other driver than realtek permanently.
use any other driver than realtek while saving for an interface.

Last edited:

This won't help, because any application (installed softwares, online streams/browsers) other than pro audio apps don't use ASIO protocol drivers. The thing is, that 'a driver' must have a ASIO component AND a WDM component (that's what non-pro-audio-apps use) AND both must be capable to run parallel to get things working like wished by Johndub.

read somewhere apple had asio before windows did at one point.

No, they didn't. The ASIO protocol is invented by Steinberg Media Technologies and Steinberg software was longtime Win-only.
On Mac OSX there's a complete other audio driver model or better say audio concept called CoreAudio which is capable of multiclient usage by itself.

dam that might actually need that duplex stuff if that's the case.

'Duplex' or correct 'full duplex' means that an audio hardware/it's drivers is capable of playback and record simultaneously.

Back