Buying a studio workstation/desk

pagordon

A lot of people say build your own studio desk so I could build it to my liking, but I just want to buy one (i have little to no experience with wood work and don't have the proper tools anyway). I was thinking the onstage ws7500mg or the studio trends 46" inch. Anyone have any opinions on the two? Can you recommend an alternative? My budget is about $300. A 13" macbook pro, wireless keyboard, mouse, m-audio c400, akai mpd26, a pair of yamaha msp5's, and possibly an m-audio keystation 61es, if it can fit, will be going on the desk.

I got the Onstage desk. I have an Oxygen 49, but the Keystation 61es should fit. you'll just need to put the mouse on the keyboard tray. the rest should fit nicely, but the mpd26 will be under the top shelf.

so if you don't need to simultaneously use the keyboard and drumpads, it'll work just fine.

but for $100 (on Musician's Friend) more the studio trends desk has more room on it.

Last edited:
i never had experience buying studio for a workstation but I guess we would like to at least open our own studio or something/

Buy a desk that's just slightly bigger than what you currently need. If you get it to fit your current gear, you'll be scrambling to make it fit or buy a new one when you get more gear.

With that said - don't forget that you can create desk space by using a keyboard stand instead on putting your midi keyboard on the desk.

The StudioRTA Producer Station is a pretty nice desk. All though it's a little bit over your budget.

Back