Building New Computer (could use some help)

russwasherejr

So the last computer I owned was a Wolfsdale 3.2ghz dualcore I think, it was custom built. I think I only spent around 300-400 total. That was 2-3 years ago. I'm on a laptop with only 1gig of ram and like 1.2ghz or something now and it's totally junk, lol.

I'm looking to start building a new computer asap. I could either buy everything all at once next week for $300. or buy a couple parts here and there for the next month. I was looking at AMD but i'm so far behind on all this technology I really have no idea anymore LOL.

If anybody wants to help out would be appreciated :)

Get an Intel processor.

Seriously.

AMD is good, don't get me wrong. I have an AMD right now. It's a Phenom II X4.. 3.2 GHz. I have it overclocked to 3.8 with no hiccups. I bought it 2-3 years ago when AMD was still a good buy.

However the new i5/i7 processors are better in every benchmark test I see. 2-3 years ago they were way too expensive to consider on a budget build. However, the prices have come down dramatically and you can get an i5 or low i7 for the same cost as the top of the line AMD. However, the mid-range i5/i7's smoke the best AMD processor in practically every benchmark.

Also... when i'm working on project, I constantly get the feeling like I should be able to push my system just a little bit harder than I currently can. This is after having everything fully optimized for audio.

Get Intel. At least an i5.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

p/s... i'll be doing another build hopefully in 6-8 months. I'll be building w/ an Intel processor, and either using my current beast-ish computer as a backup, or just reselling it as a almost barebones system.

No idea... but there is a difference.

Go to gooogle and type in Passmark Benchmark [Processor Name].

It'll show you how the performances stack up

Back