Bored so fast

RonTheDon

So I love making music and was making steady progress up until a few months ago. I don't know how to progress myself.

I had a midi keyboard which helped so much and now that I couldn't transport it with me to my new residence, I'm having trouble because I get bored of clicking around on single notes instead of quickly experimenting with a bunch of different melodies that are complex.

I'm a perfectionist and if one note sounds off, I stay stuck on the part of the song. After sitting there trying to perfect the melody or one kick, I quickly become bored of the melody. So then I just end up exiting out of the program or saving it, only to open it later and not know where to "take it".

I know I have the ear for music but I'm finding its a blessing and a curse. It's holding me back because I want everything I make to sound like a hit track because I know what sounds good and what doesn't. But I get discouraged/bored after 15 minutes. I'll make a melody and while I'm adding in the drums, the melody quickly bores me and doesn't sound good anymore.

If Your'e Getting Bored Of It Just Because You Don't Have Something That You Don't Need At All To Make Music, Find Another Hobby.
Or Just Learn How To Play Your Computer's Keyboard, It Works Pretty Good Actually. :topicclosed:

All the crazy things that you can use to make music...if you not inspired take a break.There is too much stuff to give you ideas.Maybe that's it?

Sounds like you just need to learn to keep some discipline on yourself and be patient, as well as developing your own personal workflow to enhance your creativity and process.

If you feel you're getting annoyed about something but can't solve it at the moment, write it down, continue and ignore it for now.
Be patient, there's a lot that needs to be done before a track actually sounds good, so you need to push yourself an extra half hour (at least) when you feel you're completely bored because you think your track sounds lame, and "climb over the wall".
Then after that, hopefully you get the motivation and the feeling going again.
As for the keyboard, I understand it must have enhanced your workflow a lot, but are there really nothing you can use for now until you get your hands on the keyboard again? I bet there's something you can temporarely borrow or so.

Back