BOON DOC MPC AUTO CHOP in FL Studio

Major Scale

Okay So I've seen alot of threads stating sampling techniques in FL studio
and never came across this technique so I figured I would Share It.

I have only tested this method in The FL Slicer, I haven't took the time to figure it out in the Slicex But I might Eventually.

First Things First:

Whenever I sample I always load the entire song into edison for 2 reasons:

1: There always might be another element in the song i might wanna sample and it's right there available for me to drag and drop.

2: When you chop in an outside program, in the event you "under chop" you have to go back and do it all over again, edison has the loop function so you can simply utilize this to listen and make sure your highlighted area is looping perfectly, if not... truncate until perfect. THIS IS VERY IMPERATIVE IN THIS TECHNIQUE

Okay once you have your perfect loop highlighted in Edison, play the sample with the loop function enabled. Now you are going to find the tempo of the sample by right clicking the project tempo box and selecting "TAP..."

Tap the beat of the tempo with a key on your qwerty keyboard or any key/pad on your midi controller as the metronome would. (now if you watch boon doc, you know he always used to sample in double time, this is up to you and will ultimately determine how big your chops will be. Double time will obviously give you smaller chops, exactly half the size of normal time chops.

Once you have the correct tempo set, open up FL Slicer and drag sample into plugin.
You will notice a bunch of random chops will be generated. Let's Change That. Click on the "slicing" button (the one with the razor blade) and select "Beat". This will give you your equal chops. Now depending on how long your loop was and whether you used normal time or double time will determine how many chops you get. Obviously using double time will give you more smaller chops, exactly half the size if you used normal time.

EXAMPLE: If you have a 4 bar loop and you tapped the tempo in normal time, you should have exactly 16 chops. if you tapped the tempo in double time making it an 8 bar loop you should have exactly 32 chops and this is displayed to the right of the bpm in the slicer as "beats".

Now at this point you can change the speed of the chops by using the pitch knob at the top of the slicer ( you will eventually also have to adjust the project bpm to match as well) and you can tune the chops up or down using the fader with the letters "PS" under it (Pitch Shift).

Open Up You FPC (hopefully you already have a preset where all pads are mapped and set to cut themselves)
when you click on a chop in the slicer, the single wav form will be displayed directly above it, click and drag that wav to the corresponding pad (you can always keep track of what chop is what in the slicer because the beat number is also displayed in the wav box)

Finally, after you have all chops on the corresponding pads, a little clean up work (If Necessary):

When you CLICK (not trigger) a pad, the wav form will be displayed in the FPC, if it sounds and appears it needs to be truncated (front end only, back end doesn't matter) right click on the wav and select "edit". This will bring the chop up in edison. Truncate it and drag it back to the pad and delete the first chop (the one on top)

And That's Pretty Much It...

Back