Best motherboard/CPU For music production? With Firewire amd or intel?

ferng

:hello:Good eeeeehhhvening errbody

So Wow:bigeyes: ive spent a ton of hours searching for a good mobo and man its hard
i find that alot of gigabyte mobo's with firewire are usually worked through PCI which could cause compatibility issues is this true? right now i use a piece of junk system still working with FL studio and kinda working with some vsts......

I plan on getting kontakt 5 later for their remarkable vst's, pianos, strings,. etc.

based on audio interfaces, im trying to find a mobo with firewire so i can run many tracks in a DAW

or is a PCI type firewire internal card better?

what would be the best mobo's say for socket LGA 1155 unless 2011 is better?
this is for intel unless amd is better?

at this point i can go either way since this will be a new build for me, im just trying to iron out the kinda hardware i need and dont need For cpu/motherboard
Intel i7 really necessary? or just or lower end i5 or i3?
what about 24gb of ram? or 32?

would 8gb suffice instead?

in the future i plan to utilize a ton of vst's and maybe even a small scale or even large scale orchestra

So should it be amd or intel?

socket lga 2011 or 1155? does 2011 have firewire?
8gb ram or 32?

or more? D;

okay well thats a ton of questions i hope yall can help me out
k
tk
peace

You're all over the place lol.

I'm not a computer guy but... I can try to help a little.

LGA 2011 > LGA 1155. It's the latest socket type for Intel, and it holds the most powerful CPUs. Compare an Intel i7 3930K to an i7 3770K.. it's no comparison, the 3930K smokes it. BUT... that doesn't mean the 3770K is useless! It's still a great processor and could be all anybody really needs depending on what their production/mixing needs are. The same can be said for AMD stuff. THe AMD FX 8350 is said to be very very good and can hang with some of the Intel CPUs. THe AMD FX8350 > AMD Phenom II any day. BUT... that doesn't mean the Phenom II is useless! It's still a great processor. I use one right now and I can technically get any work done that I need... since you can always bounce audio once your project starts to get huge and complex.

So.. I hope that explains your socket question a little bit. The LGA 2011 chips are the latest.. but that doesn't mean the LGA 1155 chips are garbage. It just means they are not the newest. But.. 2nd place in the "super chip" race can still mean 1st place in the "music production chip" race. Get it?

In regards to firewire... most audio interfaces recommend getting one with a Texas Instruments chipset. Most motherboards that include firewire may not necessarily have a Texas Instruments chipset. For that reason... a lot of people buy a PCI firewire card. There's a difference between PCI and PCI Express.. and i think there's a few variations of PCI Express. So make sure you buy the right one for your motherboard.

In regards to your motherboard question.... I don't think you can make a "bad choice" necessarily. The high end motherboards are usually for computer guys who do serious overclocking and are big gamers.. so they need multiple video cards and have a lot going on. For music guys... I honestly didn't notice any issues with my cheaper $60 mini-atx motherboard for my AMD phenom for all intensive purposes. I wouldn't worry about buying the "best motherboard for music". There is no best. Just get one that suits your needs and gets halfway decent reviews as at least a "good bang for back" from computer geeks and gamers. Pay attention to the maximum RAM it can support, how many RAM slots it has, the type of CPU it takes, and what types of PCI slots it has on it. Also pay attention to how many USB slots it has vs. how many you need.

In regards to the CPU debate.... Intel > AMD... almost at every price point. The AMD FX 8350 finally makes it interesting again. But... again.. Intel also means you're spending much more money on the CPU and Intel motherboards are more expensive. AMD does give you good bang for the buck overall and will get the job done for a reasonable cost. I would say if you have the money... get an Intel setup, but if you're on a shoestring budget... you can be very happy with an AMD based setup. I just build my friend an AMD system for around $300.... very nice, modest setup that he can use for a fairly long time unless software programs start demanding much much more, which usually starts to happen.

The last thing i'll add is consider getting an SSD for your system drive on your computer... and another one as a "sample playback" drive if you can afford it. The speed is ridiculous. Once you get one... you'll understand lol... you won't want to go back to a regular HD.. the speed of boot and program load is very spoiling... and if you get one for your samples/sample libraries.. you will be very happy when your Kontakt instrument loads in 2 seconds instead of 14 seconds. It can be a mojo killer.

Is Intel i7 necessary? Depends on what you're doing. If you're mixing music and you have 4-5 effects on 30 channels of audio.. yeah, you may want an i7 under the hood. (There are several different types of i7, i5, and i3... not all i7's are created equal as I kind of alluded to above). But if you're only recording guitar and playing 2-3 VSTs, and outsourcing your mixing to an engineer.. or just using a few plugins here or there to mix... then maybe the i5 will suit you fine. The i3 probably isn't worth buying lol. No point in going that low.

24GB of ram? depends.... how large are your sample libraries? And... does your DAW have a 64bit version? Assuming it does... 24GB is a lot..... i'm currently happy w/ 16GB, i only come close to maxing when i have 5-6 heavy sessions loaded at once. However.... one trilian patch can be 1-2GB right there. So... again, it depends on your needs. if you don't have huge patches... 8GB should be fine. you can always upgrade later.

lastly... i say all of this assuming that you're building your own computer of course, which is usually cheaper and better.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Also.. i forgot..

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

^Go here. This will help you visualize the performance of the CPU you're considering and how it compares to others. The higher the score, the better. And you will see all of the different CPUs available past & present. (And you'll see what I mean about how there's several different i7's and i5's, etc)

Last edited:
The best way to go in terms of performance is to avoid using a protocol on top of a protocol and cut out the FireWire (or USB) middleman altogether by using a PCI or PCIE audio interface.

So then whats the best, what kind of PCI or PCIE do you recommend?
from the best of the best to the middleman

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

--reply to CPhoenix
thanks man

ill probably then build a medium average system maybe something smaller
ssds are expensive
i know about ram slots all that stuff and tech gear
as for mobos, what do you recommend?
or is PCI or pci e cards better?
someone else suggests so still,
if i get a mobo, cutting out the pci cards will help cut the expense
i dont care for the overclocking, the build is only for music production thats it

looking into this i cant separate between mobos for gamers and mobos for software without having to look at Xeon intel stuff and thats too much moneh
you suggested even low end mobos, so i need make sure they have texas instruments for the firewire

then again PCI or pciE is better,
do you know by any chance any really good cards for this, the best of the best?

Last edited:
i'm not necessarily suggesting lowend mobos... i'm just saying my low end suited my needs. i don't know if performance improves w/ a high end mobo. i will actually know in about 10 days, i upped my system w/ a higher end mobo and CPU combo.

PCI e is faster than PCI. PCI is the old standard. but.. i don't think u can go wrong w/ either, just make sure it's a texas instruments chip on it. i have both a regular PCI firewire card and a PCI x16 (the small ones) card which is technically faster than PCI. I didn't notice any difference in DAW performance between the 2.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

also... depending where you are... you can probably find an 80GB SSD drive for around $60 or so bucks now. That's pretty good considering just a few months ago they were $90+. If you can afford that... it's worth grabbing. That is enough for a system drive easily (just make sure you lower the paging file significantly.. b/c Windows will set aside space on your hard drive for a "paging file", and it's double the amount of RAM you have on your system. SO if you have 8 GB of RAM... Windows will set aside 16GB of space you can't use for anything else lol. Turn that down (or off).

THen.. just grab a 7200rpm drive to hold the majority of your music stuff (ie.. sample libraries, music files, etc).

A side note from someone who just upgraded. PCI is being pushed out for PCI e, which means fewer options for budget audio interfaces. I had to toss my old PCI interface because of this. my 2 cents.

i'm not necessarily suggesting lowend mobos... i'm just saying my low end suited my needs. i don't know if performance improves w/ a high end mobo. i will actually know in about 10 days, i upped my system w/ a higher end mobo and CPU combo.

PCI e is faster than PCI. PCI is the old standard. but.. i don't think u can go wrong w/ either, just make sure it's a texas instruments chip on it. i have both a regular PCI firewire card and a PCI x16 (the small ones) card which is technically faster than PCI. I didn't notice any difference in DAW performance between the 2.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

also... depending where you are... you can probably find an 80GB SSD drive for around $60 or so bucks now. That's pretty good considering just a few months ago they were $90+. If you can afford that... it's worth grabbing. That is enough for a system drive easily (just make sure you lower the paging file significantly.. b/c Windows will set aside space on your hard drive for a "paging file", and it's double the amount of RAM you have on your system. SO if you have 8 GB of RAM... Windows will set aside 16GB of space you can't use for anything else lol. Turn that down (or off).

THen.. just grab a 7200rpm drive to hold the majority of your music stuff (ie.. sample libraries, music files, etc).

thanks man im just gonna grab a pci e card so i dont have to worry about the motherboard
thanks for the heads up on the pagefiles that would have screwed me over big time, i plan to get 16 gb ram its cheap though about 90 bux, low profile so no fancy heat spreaders none of that high grade looks
just the basic
if you want to look into that look up Crucial ballistix or Corsair Low profile 16gb
in canada, i got a price for 90
ive noticed some sites selling higher
if it isnt low profile it usually goes for $140 or so
and is just for overclocking all that tech stuff w/e

A side note from someone who just upgraded. PCI is being pushed out for PCI e, which means fewer options for budget audio interfaces. I had to toss my old PCI interface because of this. my 2 cents.
tk pci-E it is then
cheers

Last edited:
Back