best Genre for Sampling?

What do you mean 2014 beats??

Good genres to sample are soul,mo-town from 1960-1980 Tyrone Davis/Peabo Bryson are good examples.

There is no 1 genre.A lot of cats will say soul because it's the easiest to use.Be creative and show some skill......sample EVERYTHING!

Peace

Anything. Don't just look for loops to layer drums on...listen for little bursts of an instrument that you can chop & layer. Any genre will give you an opportunity to find some cool samples...everyone's first port of call is always the old soul/jazz stuff. Do something different and stand out!

I like to sample rock which a lot of people don't.... but to give u a better answer:
Go crate digging. Don't even bother thinking "what genre could this album be". Just listen to it and try to find samples that match your beats.

from my personal experience music from the time period off 1968 - 1982 is the best for sampling. My personal preference would be from within that time frame soul/rnb/jazz/progressive rock/experimental electronica/pop

When I was first starting out years ago I would have told you Soul. If you are just starting out, that probably is the best genre to start with, because honestly sampling entire soul songs is not that difficult. You will get some incredible arrangements, soft drums typically, and a lot of different instruments to sample all within the same track. Now as I've gotten a bit more crafty I would tell you sample anything and everything you find to be dope. I'm to the point now where I use my turntable and vinyl almost like a VST in the sense where I'll have my beat almost done before I start looking for certain instruments to sample...that's when the real fun begins because at that point you can just about sample any record if the musical key matches.

Jazz would also be another genre as well.

You can sample everything if u want and if u listen carefully. sometimes when u listen to something to sample u cant find anything to use, but if u listen to it a lil bit more or simply in another moment maybe u find a supa dope sample to chop that makes ur day.

Back