Beginner Question: Ableton Live 9

djcoolmike

This is a very newbie question, but I am new to production. This is the scenario. I was trying to do a remix. Most of the sound packs I was using was in my downloads folder. I accidentally erased the contents of the folder and I didn't save all files. My question is how and/or where is the best place to save sounds and all of the plugins and such that I will use? Are there any settings that I should alter? Is it better to use an external hard drive? Please help. I would rather set everything up now in the beginning so I won't lose anything else as I get better.

This is a very newbie question, but I am new to production. This is the scenario. I was trying to do a remix. Most of the sound packs I was using was in my downloads folder. I accidentally erased the contents of the folder and I didn't save all files. My question is how and/or where is the best place to save sounds and all of the plugins and such that I will use? Are there any settings that I should alter? Is it better to use an external hard drive? Please help. I would rather set everything up now in the beginning so I won't lose anything else as I get better.

I don't know how it's done in Ableton, but these are some tips you could use in general.

I keep all of my samples on a separate internal hard drive from my OS and applications. When I'm done with a project I create a zipped loop package in FL Studio that compiles all of the used samples into a folder along with the project itself. Depending on how I feel I'll also create a text file or use FL's Project Info section to list all of the plugins, libraries, and presets I used just incase I delete something I used in a project that I'd like to go back to, only to find out I deleted a plugin or library. I can simply revert to the text file or project info and I'll know what I'm missing. It sounds good written out but it takes a few moments of your time, just like organizing your project, it's up to you.

Last edited:
as far as plugins - a default is usually selected for you (Steinberg I believe is the folder name) and your plugins will install to this folder (by default) unless you have created and select a folder you want to keep all plugins. I use a default plugin folder I have labeled "VST". You need to set this folder as the default folder or plugins will try to install to the installed default....otherwise every time you install - you look for and select your custom folder as the plugin folder.

when you create a new project in ableton always "collect all and save" on exit and the files will be copied/collected and kept as a group for your project. that way if original files are moved or deleted you'll still have your copies for the project. its easy to think you don't need that vocal shot that's sitting on your desktop because you've used it and saved it in your ableton project - but if you haven't "collected and saved" its pulling from the desktop every time you open the project. Ableton doesn't create a library of collections unless you tell it to......it only references where you have them stored....if you remember that you can alter your locations as needed.

Last edited:
Back