Beginner plugin question

lecrae117

I am learning to make current hip hop music, trap beats in particular. My budget for plugins is low, so looking for free plugins for now. How do I go about finding a plugin that will work for what I want it to? I have FL studio 12. I have tried some decent plugins, but have a hard time finding the proper sounds for those plugins. A lot of the sounds I come across with free plugins seem stale or old, and out of place when it comes to the way music sounds today.

Last edited:
Almost all synths have presets that are old.
Freeware plugins?...O that's easy.

Zebralette. Tyrell. The stuff already inside daws. DSK. Spicy guitar. Keyzone. VSTplanet.
You said fl studio.
So sytrus and harmor. Or 3xosc modules in patcher rack.

Presets suck, nothing new. twisting knobs and faders don't. Although I'd suggest much research, because most daws have a boatload of built in modules that can do most things already.

Last edited:
I first started out using Sytrus the most. It doesn't have realistic orchestra sounds though. That's when I started looking other stuff like soundfonts of orchestra instruments. As far as synths go, I'd say start using Sytrus and maybe even Harmless, Poizone, or one of my favorite I still use today is Morphine. For realistic instruments try looking for DSK Brass, DSK Strings, and DSK Virtuoso. Those are good free VSTi's to download.

As stated above, FL Studio has a great arsenal of plugins. Sytrus is a complete powertool, you just need to spend some time understanding its interface. Harmor is great too, especially if you like to experiment as it has some really sweet under-the-hood features. Morphine is a great tool too with lots of possibilities, though it doesn't have that great workflow, so I wouldn't recommend using it for standard synthesis if you want to save time.
But note that both Harmor and Morphine aren't includeed in all FL Studio versions, so you might not actually have them.

Otherwise there are tons of free software synths out there, like U-He Tyrell, Synth1, Eclipsis (haven't actually tried that one). Just head over to the KVR plugin database

But if you want to get a synth with a good amount of presetbanks available, you probably will have to pay around $150 for one or so, as we're talking about Massive, Sylenth1, Serum, Spire, etc. Synth1 seem to have lots of soundbanks too though, but I don't expect that high quality in them though.

Back