Been Producing 6 months FINALLY ready to showcase :) , please give feedback, thanks !

Benny_boy

Hello all ! I joined this forum around 6 months ago when I first picked up my first DAW , I have never DJ'd before , never done anything musical before just always been a loving listener of music. I dug around and posted a few questions on here where I actually realised what I had indulged myself into lol, I was so taken back but the amount of knowledge needed to make music especially knowing I had to teach myself Musical theory, mxing down ie. EQing , compression and other processing ect then the production process, mastering ! Its all blown me away if Im completely honest! When I asked questions on here everyone asked to hear my music so they could give advice........ I didnt have any LOL ! So I have finally taught myself the basics in each production process to finally start making music, its been a pain staking process as you all probably know especially listening to your favourite artists and wanting to achieve similar results so bad ! So yes I am feeling a huge sense of achievement after locking myself in the studio for 6 months although I do know i still have a million miles to go, just a small milestone :)

So I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on a few tracks I've finished , all comments much welcomed . The artists I look up to are the likes of Eric Prydz and Deadmau5, who both have incredibly clean mixes and I am no where near yet but Ive made a start annd im ready for honest feedback so I can improve my mix downs and production . Thanks :)

So the first one is called "Pitch Black" the track is very dark but i tried to be as creative as possible with as little sounds as i could fit in.

https://soundcloud.com/ben-short-9/pitch-black/s-2ONuz

The second one is a remix of Deadmau5's - Arguru, in which i did a melodic remix with piano chords and ARP, I couldnt get the piano very clean with EQ so any comment son freq ranges would be welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/ben-short-9/deadmau5-arguru-ben-short-melodic-remix

The third is a track thats being worked on at the minute and is only half finished called "away" kind of a trancy progressive track. I have not yet added percussion also ....

https://soundcloud.com/ben-short-9/away/s-y66Al

Thanks for your time guys much appreciated

Hey, in pitch black, i think your kick need some depth and that u have the snare sound a little drowned, i would try getting a little more crisp to it. and you really could use some variation on the melody! but nice job, for 6 months of producing!

the deadmau5 remix have kind of the same issue with the drums. but i like your choice of synths.
could use some mixing!

for the piano, i would try to boost around 650 - 800 hz and a little lower maybe aswell since it needs depth.

for the last one i think u did really well, needs some work still but the mixing so far is an improvement!

Good job man, for the first one, I have a suggestion, listen to MentalImage, Astrix, and even Zorba... You can get some ideas on the composition... I can't say much about the mix though, since I'm a metalhead and don't know that much about mixing in genres other than that. However, I have to ask you, have you highpassed/lowpassed the kicks?
The deadmau5 mix's piano (in my opinion, which you can ignore) need to be a little bit more fat, Muga suggested to boost around 650 - 800 and a little lower, I suggest you go lower than than, around 250 I guess.
I liked the third one, although I guess it needs more work on the composition, I suggest listening to the musicians I mentioned above!
Generally, cheers mate! Good job, really! :)

Hey, in pitch black, i think your kick need some depth and that u have the snare sound a little drowned, i would try getting a little more crisp to it. and you really could use some variation on the melody! but nice job, for 6 months of producing!

the deadmau5 remix have kind of the same issue with the drums. but i like your choice of synths.
could use some mixing!

for the piano, i would try to boost around 650 - 800 hz and a little lower maybe aswell since it needs depth.

for the last one i think u did really well, needs some work still but the mixing so far is an improvement!

Hey Muga ! Yes I agree ! I have since then designed my own kick which is a great improvement on that one and I see what you mean as saw comes in hard the percussion gets drowned out , back to the drawing board on the mixing down then ! Also working on my composition alot hopefully my scores will become more interesting with time .

So piano boosts and those ranges I will experiment.

Thanks man really appreciate it ! :)

Thanks Aria :) ! I will defiantly be giving these artists a listen as one thing Im really desperate to learn is composition skills I need that catchy emotional touch to my music im desperate for it this why Im doing it , but I understand its going to take a lot of hard work so Im gonna keep on grinding at it. Yes I high passed the kick , dont ask why I didnt really know what I was doing with the kick drum when i did that lol I have since desinged a beast of a kick that hits hard.

Thanks for your time, advice and kind words man appreciate it :)

no, actually I wanted to tell you to make sure you both hi pass and low pass all the instruments... at different frequencies of course! It really helps :)
you're welcome man.

Oh I see my bad lol! Assumption is the mother of all **** ups haha.

Yes I high and low pass alot but i think I need to learn more about carving Frequencies ie boosting cutting the right areas . More work to be done :)

Yeah man, but from my experience, surgical EQing is very hard to get the hang of. I suggest you use filters, compressors and stuff, and try EQing where you absolutely have to.

Dude after 6 months, this is all pretty good! Out of all of that, I think pitch black was my favorite. You had some really strong sounds going in there and the mix felt a bit cleaner than the Arguru mix.

I agree with the comments about the kick. I tend to leave a lot of highs in my kick to make it appear more punchy. Maybe you could try low passing them just a little less to see how that may help.

Keep at it man!

Dude after 6 months, this is all pretty good! Out of all of that, I think pitch black was my favorite. You had some really strong sounds going in there and the mix felt a bit cleaner than the Arguru mix.

I agree with the comments about the kick. I tend to leave a lot of highs in my kick to make it appear more punchy. Maybe you could try low passing them just a little less to see how that may help.

Keep at it man!

Hey Ametrine ! Funny enough im listening to your overdrive track now, I seen you on soundcloud before I realised you had replied to me on here lol

Overdrive is a good track man with good long progressions just how I like it :) I see your also a deadmau5 fan .

Ahhh thanks a lot man :) means a lot, I have been working so hard honestly so much to learn , Im glad you like Pitch Black thats my best so far also my first LOL . Yeah Ive finally got a good kick which hits hard so thats sorted, I lost the project file for Pitch Black due to a broken hard drive though, waiting on a technician to see if he can get the files back , I would love to put my new Kick in .

Thanks for the feedback !

are you using presets or are you making everything from scratch? shit I'v been producing for a year now and I'm not that good. wish I had that UK talent.... lmao sounds good man pitch black is my fav

Hey Ametrine ! Funny enough im listening to your overdrive track now, I seen you on soundcloud before I realised you had replied to me on here lol

Overdrive is a good track man with good long progressions just how I like it :) I see your also a deadmau5 fan .

Ahhh thanks a lot man :) means a lot, I have been working so hard honestly so much to learn , Im glad you like Pitch Black thats my best so far also my first LOL . Yeah Ive finally got a good kick which hits hard so thats sorted, I lost the project file for Pitch Black due to a broken hard drive though, waiting on a technician to see if he can get the files back , I would love to put my new Kick in .

Thanks for the feedback !

Aw yea, I had a lot of fun making Overdrive. Saw your comments on my page, thanks for checking my stuff out! Yea the Mau5 actually got me into progressive house a few years ago, he's awesome.

That's terrible though, definitely get dropbox or something so you can have backups. And keep up the good ♪♪ :D

are you using presets or are you making everything from scratch? shit I'v been producing for a year now and I'm not that good. wish I had that UK talent.... lmao sounds good man pitch black is my fav

Hi BLH ! On the arguru remix the pluck I used there i designed myself with massive VST its real good for pluck sounds and easy to use, the "Ravy" synth if you must is a preset yes, I cannot design my own synths yet plucks however are fairly simple just combine two SAW waves , Detune the one by 12cents and shape an envolope with a pretty fast attack, low sustain and sort of a medium release. I used a similar pluck in Pitch Black, some FX I use are from Korg legacy collection some real good stuff there that you can modify with bit crushers and FX tools ect to make them unique .

Thanks bro appreciate it! I love pitch black I was so happy when it I heard it finished as its my first . How much time do you put in if you dont mind me asking ? Im sure you will get there bro just takes time, I mean I have given up my social life for this as its become very important to me , Ive kind of made it my life because I have a passion for it so Ive been locked away for 6months, as soon as i get home from work its straight in the studio until late then all weekend so I have spent alot of time just to let you know . Hope Ive helped you a bit ? thanks BTW

Last edited:
yeah thats a good track man ! I loved it ! No worries we all here to feed from each other . Yes how genius is he ? The more i research into Joel the more im amazed lol so naturally talented.

Yeah sucks I take extra precautions after that :(

Ill keep in touch :)

Back