BeatMakers & Rappers: What's you #1 goal??

soso def!

I had a discussion lately with my mentor and he said something like this:

"you know the problem with most people is, they dont know what they want. if you ask them, what their number one goal is, most either can't tell, or their answer includes five or different types of things... or they are to shy to admit that they maybe wanna be famous, or rich or the best or whatever. but this is your life man, you gotta be brutally honest with yourself and if you want to get rich through music or if you want to become a true revolutionary like bob marley or dead prez then stand up for yourself! go and do it! dont look at what he or she is doing. they also only looking at other people and imitate them because they dont know what they want or should be doing. it's simple! pick a goal, whatever you biggest and deepest desire is and make that your #1 priority. and ignore everything that has nothing to do with your #1 goal or doesnt contribute directly. the only things you want to be doing is what gets you closer to where you want to be. that's it. it's not that complicated. you just have to be honest with yourself, pick the right goal and stay focused."

obviously, that gave me a lot to think about. i thought it would be cool to share what he said and talk about it here...

i thought we could start with the "simple" question:

What is your #1 goal?

I don't know to be honest. I'm pretty obsessed with soundtracks and synthesis.
Hm...I guess my goal is simply being able to make tracks similar to various mediums.
Simplified, one day I'd like to be able to imitate tracks from square enix, capcom and namco.And whoever was in charge of bioshock's soundtrack for all 3 titles.
And tenchu.And marvel vs capcom 2/skullgirls basically jazz music, orchestral hugeness like ff13 and that psy sounding stuff namco does along capcom's Dnb style.

Rap isn't an art anymore. It's a jug (something that people only use to make money now). Rap is lame. Name 5 dope rappers who deserve their fame based off their rapping skills alone...? I'll wait.

The only ONE I can think of at the moment is Cassidy. 90% of the rappers now are all beats and no content, and no, making a smiley, positive song with a "message" doesn't make you a good rapper, or make it a good song.

If you ask me, producers do ALL of the work. Rappers now-a-days are Gaw-Bidge (Garbage).

Rap isn't an art anymore. It's a jug (something that people only use to make money now). Rap is lame. Name 5 dope rappers who deserve their fame based off their rapping skills alone...? I'll wait.

The only ONE I can think of at the moment is Cassidy. 90% of the rappers now are all beats and no content, and no, making a smiley, positive song with a "message" doesn't make you a good rapper, or make it a good song.

If you ask me, producers do ALL of the work. Rappers now-a-days are Gaw-Bidge (Garbage).

I agree when it comes to mainstream rap. It's a money grab, the radio is all pop now, no matter what genre it's "supposed" to be. That doesn't mean they all suck, just that labels push what's popular not what's good.

However there are some great things going on in hip hop if u dig a little. Indy rappers are getting more recognition than ever and I see that trend continuing as labels lose more and more money on major acts.

I agree when it comes to mainstream rap. It's a money grab, the radio is all pop now, no matter what genre it's "supposed" to be. That doesn't mean they all suck, just that labels push what's popular not what's good.

However there are some great things going on in hip hop if u dig a little. Indy rappers are getting more recognition than ever and I see that trend continuing as labels lose more and more money on major acts.

No, I don't think you understand. Indie rappers are Gaw-Bidge(Garbage) and overrated too. E.G. Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bad@ss, D-Pryde, Nipsey Hustle, Tyler The Creator/OF, shall I go on?

I'm not like these other guys, radio music is cool, NOT ALL OF it, but let's not be mistaken, if it's on the radio, it's on the radio for a reason, because it sounds good. Like I said, a lot of rappers are either over hyped, or hiding behind production.

If that rap game was just acapellas, I'd LOVE to see how popular these new rappers would be.

No, I don't think you understand. Indie rappers are Gaw-Bidge(Garbage) and overrated too. E.G. Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bad@ss, D-Pryde, Nipsey Hustle, Tyler The Creator/OF, shall I go on?

I'm not like these other guys, radio music is cool, NOT ALL OF it, but let's not be mistaken, if it's on the radio, it's on the radio for a reason, because it sounds good. Like I said, a lot of rappers are either over hyped, or hiding behind production.

If that rap game was just acapellas, I'd LOVE to see how popular these new rappers would be.

You just named all mainstream rappers. If you actually look for different artists than the ones ppl say you're "supposed" to listen to Im sure you'll find something you like, unless you're just gonna say everything sucks just to say it.

Who do you personally listen to?

Make a living off of music. If I can just sit in the studio and make music everyday for "work", I'm content..

Make a living off of music. If I can just sit in the studio and make music everyday for "work", I'm content..

and you guys have a clear idea of what it means to "make a living" means?

or when do you know that you have actually produced something that's really dope?

I mean otherwise it's hard to know when you have achieved your goal, isnt it?!

to make extra money and make use music to glorify Jesus the Christ

Last edited:
You just named all mainstream rappers. If you actually look for different artists than the ones ppl say you're "supposed" to listen to Im sure you'll find something you like, unless you're just gonna say everything sucks just to say it.

Who do you personally listen to?

As far as Rap?

Don Trip. Starlito. Fred The Godson. Cassidy. iLLA. Etc.

I'm UK based and to be honest, although I came up listening to the usual suspects , Tribe, Pharcyde, Wu etc etc, I don't really listen to any US hiphop anymore. It just doesn't resonate with my life or the things I know. UK hip hop holds much more appeal to me.

i won't ever make a living out of beats but that's ok as I have jobland and a life outside of music.
That said, music is a defining part of my life and I'd definitely like to play a bigger part in the scene.
There's a lot of grime/trap going on local to me which isn't my thing but I keep an ear to the ground and have plans in motion to work with a couple guys who spit fire.

Back