Battle Rapping and your beats...

BiggRome 2.0

Can you dig it ?
They're not using beats...

Could this spell trouble? It seems to making a crazy comeback...

What if people get used to listening to raps without beats...

is it far-fetched?

Saw the loaded lux battle, looked more like spoken word than rappin. Don't think words with no beats will fly on the mainstream radio.

Yea, to me honestly the beat makes the track. Especially if you're a shittyy rapper you're going to need that beat to back you up and divert attention. Guys that can barely rap will have the big one if rap goes acapella.

Only the guys with real lyrical talent will stand a chance in a non instrumental world.

Plus I hear people talking all day everyday at school and work, in no way would I want to hear a person rapping for 3mins+ on 13 different songs in my ear the rest of the day... THat probably explains why I rather listen to the instrumentals of most songs if I can find them rather than the actual single with words. Lol

Last edited:
@Rome

Let me answer your question with a question:

Can BEAT battles ever reach to the level the rap battle scene is enjoying now? Is there any real entertainment value in watching two beatsmiths go at it (with talking, hyping shit up allowed)? There could be a wide open lane just waiting to be organized and put together especially since there is already 'a million producers' out there.

Or is showcasing/putting together a beat and battling each other just too boring and lame to really go anywhere on a large scale?

Last edited:
Battle rapping could be waaaaaaaay bigger than it is. Boxers make millions get in the ring. I think battle rapping is headed there. And only the strong will survive. It could be the reverse of how rappers think in the future. If a rapper could work his way up to the million dollar battles....they would spend more time trying to study the Mike Tyson of the shit. Like that URL shit.

My problem with battle rap......it has no structure yet. People wouldn't know who won between two rappers unless it was a slaughter....other than that it turns into a (who has more fans) determination. THe crowd is a major factor for a majority of viewers. The crowd goes "ooooooooooh".........and alot of the people in the crowd are late...don't know what he said but hey he must've said something dope because everybody else recognized it.

These dudes people look up to today ain't shit though. A fuucking talking match with background checks and shit. Them dudes can't freestyle worth a damn....but can tell you about somebody else's life......and then explain why they are the best. Shit is weak.....and everybody biting that weak shit.

Want to win......get on somebody ass at the moment...because that background check shit is played out. They need to step their freestyle game up. Just me though.

When it come to beats....they know nothing about where to go except their homeboy.......but hell "when your lyrics are as dope as mine.......you can make any beat sound good....why pay for beats".....type of mindset.

@Rome

Can BEAT battles ever reach to the level the rap battle scene is enjoying now? Is there any real entertainment in watching two beatsmiths go at it (with talking, hyping shit up allowed)? There could be a wide open lane just waiting to be organized and put together especially since there is already 'a million producers' out there.

Or is showcasing/putting together a beat and battling each other just too boring and lame to really go anywhere on a large scale?

i think both battle rapping and beat battles are corny, lame and boring lol. Its like And-1 Basketball or even Harlem Globetrotters compared to the NBA. Enough revenue to keep a few events afloat but nobody really wants to watch that shit except the entourage and fans of the people already involved.

Jay-Z is a big battle rap fan. Young Guru said Hov spends hours on the internet watching internet battles.. but hasnt put together an official tournament or platform for battle rappers.. cause its just not really worth it. Hov hasnt put a penny in any of these cats pockets or even brought em into a meeting lol

battle raps and beat battles are good sideshows at real events like Music Showcases or A & R events, it should be used to display talent, like a talent search but to make real money or make a real impact.. i just dont see it

Saw the loaded lux battle, looked more like spoken word than rappin. Don't think words with no beats will fly on the mainstream radio.

But........it could provide more money for rappers than mainstream songs.

If a battle rapper was in matches and had the belt waiting on who is next....and those battles provided a million that night for those rappers....they could do 5 of those in a year. They wouldn't even care to be mainstream. They getting the best of everything. A battle rapper would be consider greater than even the dopest MC outside of battling. It would really be on some boxing shit.

Battle rapping could be waaaaaaaay bigger than it is. Boxers make millions get in the ring. I think battle rapping is headed there. And only the strong will survive. It could be the reverse of how rappers think in the future. If a rapper could work his way up to the million dollar battles....they would spend more time trying to study the Mike Tyson of the shit. Like that URL shit.

I agree, it definitely has the potential to become bigger especially if you now have people willing to PAY to see some of these battles in bigger venues. A recent article on HipHopDX broke the scene down a little:

SMACK Talk: The Secret Success Of The Rap Battle Industry | Discussing Lil' Wayne, Drake & Many More Hip Hop Artists | HipHop DX

URL Summer Madness 2 Admission Price Breakdown: Summer Madness 2 - Eventbrite

All this point to the decline in value of the stand-alone recording and the re-emphasis on the live performance...and so far the overall producer community has yet to adapt to this new reality but they better if you're reading in-between the lines of the opening post of this thread...

@Rome

Can BEAT battles ever reach to the level the rap battle scene is enjoying now? Is there any real entertainment value in watching two beatsmiths go at it (with talking, hyping shit up allowed)? There could be a wide open lane just waiting to be organized and put together especially since there is already 'a million producers' out there.

Google Red Bull Big Tune.

But in my opinion, acapella rap battles are a completely different art-form than battles over beats. Most of the time, there's too many syllables, and it would never flow or have proper impact without the pauses, stutters, etc. A battle over beats is like a concert. An acapella battle is like a rhyming stand up comedy show.

Last edited:
You can't spit in someone's face in a beat battle. You can play Sargent. You can't make the person look like a punk. They just basically dancing and being all happy and shit....kool aid smile while their beat is playing. Rap battles? Dudes be sweating like they in a boxing match.

Beatmakers are too pretty.

Google Red Bull Big Tune.

Ah yea totally overlooked that, thank you sir

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

You can't spit in someone's face in a beat battle. You can play Sargent. You can't make the person look like a punk. They just basically dancing and being all happy and shit....kool aid smile while their beat is playing. Rap battles? Dudes be sweating like they in a boxing match.

Beatmakers are too pretty.

Lol I agree, the people want to see BLOOD

I've gotten my beats played in the Grindtime series and a few other battle vids. They usually play them while introucing the guys and showing their "stats".

Beat battles won't make it, there are no put downs only break downs. People speak words so words will always win. The "Ohhhhhh did you hear what he said!!!!" will alway reign supreme.

The "Im' gonna do - this - to you" factor has too much strength.

Only producers understand good beats. People won't even listen to instrumentals of Hip Hop on YouTube but I watched a few emcee battles yesterday.

Loaded Lux vs. Calico and Dizaster vs. DNA

People can get animated and all kinds of crap. A producer rocking out to his own beat just looks like one guy dancing alone.

I can see an emcee rhyming over just a snare and killing it and people listening all the way through if what he's saying is tight.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Last edited:
Battle rap = an event with 98% men in the crowd all your homeboys in your corner oowwing and ahhhing over pre written raps with props. That shit has it's place but it's not going anywhere else. Women don't care about that shit for the most part and women influence music too much i.e. dancing so battle rap will remain an underground thing for doods.

Beat Off is right.

Women just don't see the allure in it. It's like trying to get a woman to watch boxing. All you will hear is a bunch of "Git him, Git him" and you look at her and roll your eyes and face palm yourself.

Back