Bad to Touch Needle?

Joseph Rayborn

I get a lot of dust collecting on the needle while spinning, and occassionally I will lift the needle off the record and wipe it away with my finger. Can this damage the needle, and if so what is the preferred tool to eliminate collected dust?

best not to touch the needle, blow the dust off or remove it very gently if u have to.
Get some record cleaning stuff.

The grease and dirt in our skin works baaad s**t for the needles, so I'll back up Ade on that one.

Try to one of get those little brushes from your mum (or girlfriend) that they use to put on make up. Of course try to get one that hasn't been used yet!!!
The hairs are kinda soft and just good enough to wipe the dustballs off.

Cleanliness

Dust build-up is a problem no one can escape. To keep my records clean, and sounding clear I use a record cleaner, but ALSO I use a can of "Dust-Off". It is simply a can of propelent that shoots a stream of air. They are most often used to clean electronics and things that cannot be exposed to chemicals/oils. I also find that it works very well to keep the needle clean, and by using it you risk no damage via oils or pressure from your hand/brush.

Hope this helps.

Peace -
Ryall

Back