Audio samples

andycii

I've seen a lot of great projects that use audio files instead of MIDI/piano roll to make mixes. I was wondering where I can get samples like these? I'm realizing that Midi/Piano roll is only going to get me so far.

Anyone know where I can get these for free? Specifically guitar playing

**Let me rephrase this**

Is there an advantage to using audio samples instead of midi?

Last edited:
Advantage of using audio over midi is cpu usage, midi can be turned into audio and vice versa and does not affect quality in that way.

Midi is just timestamps of when something was struck and played.

Research these on wiki or any other source that may suit you:

Midi
Audio files
VST
VSTI
Synthesizer
Sample Libraries

As above.

For example: my tracks are sample heavy - ALL AUDIO - But all my audio is triggered via MIDI.

By "mixing" do you mean the whole thing with music production, or really just "mixing", as a lot of people say mixing when they really mean music production.

Practically speaking, you're often dealing with heavier plugins when you're in the mixing phase, at least if you love fancy thirdparty plugins. And combine these heavy plugins with MIDI data and you'll have a really bad day with your CPU. So by freezing your tracks to audio samples instead you save a lot of power on the CPU, and you save frustration.

Or if you refer more to actual music production, there are a lot of loops to get your hands on and use in music production, and the great thing with them is that they're finely tuned by sounddesigners to have perfect sonic quality - but are they really your own production? Not really...

This definitely is the answer I was looking for. I'm finding a lot of times my CPU can't handle everything at once and I typically run into playback errors.

I understand MIDI can be transferred into audio but is there a way to transfer it back to midi for editing?

Answer to your question, yes. Anything like Melodyne newtone variaudio can revert an audio file back to midi.

Questions you can optionally answer at your leisure:
What do you use?
Fl studio?Ableton?Studio one?Reason?cubase etc or are you one of those who uses just straight up hardware only?

Some daws can do this by default called freezing or transforming tracks.

I actually use Logic. I tried out Ableton but it didn't really click for me. I hear every DAW essentially does the same thing but its just a matter of preference.

But anyway, I don't see an option in Logic for that

Logic has that option.
Some daws have options others don't.
Ableton has clip launching while most daws don't and it lacks freezing like some daws do etc but most daws are similar tools in them.

I use reason and s1, reason lacks it too but s1 doesn't.
All daws can bounce but few can revert without a tool like melodyne.

Back