Audio Production Workstation problem.

K

krym

Hello,

I'm an aspiring music producer from Adelaide, Australia looking to purchase an Audio Production Workstation. The only place i can really find over here that deals with this kind of thing is Derringers music, i went in there, and they basically gave me all sorts of pamphlets and pretty much told me to go home and figure it out for myself, not that they didn't know, they seemed a little preoccupied with their own importance beeing the only music equipment store in town that deals with what im after.

I'm looking to purchase a Audio production workstation which will reach my following requirements. I will be using the workstation produce Hip Hop/ R n B type music mainly as well as some Drum N Bass. I don't know if this is relevant information, however to those with prior experience and in the know so to speak may be able point me in the direction of which sound card/components will be best for me. Programs i'm looking to use are Cubase, Reason, and Nuendo probably at the moment i just use Cubase and various trackers, a tracker similar to impulse tracker, however from what i've found in through my research is that the problem lays in my current hardware. I will want to record from external sources for crystal clear vocals, and various samples recorded with instruments. I am also looking at attaching a high end keyboard to the system in the near future [after a few more pay days so to speak.]

What i'm looking for is a system which will offer no buzz, run smooth and will continue to do for sometime to come. With what i'm using at the moment there is always interference between the devices [i think] which is the main reason why i'm looking to get something new, more powerful, i am desperate to escape this problem so i can take my music to the next level. I have several big opportunities at the moment pending , and i could work a lot quicker to briefs and on my music in general if i didn't have to cut out this interference from every cut i make of every wave file produced.

CPU: Pentium 4 of some sort or an Athlon thunderbird processor. Basically 1ghz +

Mother Board: ???

RAM: 256 meg first grade? + The quicker the better?

2 hard drives? : is this necessary? I've heard it's vital but several times i've received quotes where there
is only a solitary hard drive.

Video: something Dual head and silent???

Monitor: Ideally something silent.. Big for running the audio software LCD? Or is that just still to expensive? From what i've seen the prices seem to be a bit steep cause they are relative newcomers to the market, however i may be willing to pay the price if the advantages are there.

Case: Once again i'm told Octek are good Hyena are bad? Whats best?

Modem: 56k external, i guess for no interference

CD Rewriter ? once again i through my research i've found that a lot of them in fact cause clicks when recording, so one that doesn't do that would be good.

Speakers: Ideally i would like studio monitors however they are not overly necessary right now, but what do you have in the way of them anyways?

Soundcard: Now heres a tough one...????? I've been trying to find out for months what would be best for me, PulsarII?, Yamaha SW1000XG?, Echo Layla 24? OR is there something better? or something better about to be released for what i want to do worth waiting a month or 2 for?

Ok thank you for your time, I hope someone can help me out.

krym@krym.s5.com

Back