Audio Interface Purchasing Guide

2infamouz

I recently wrote a guide for buying audio interfaces. If you already are knowledgeable about audio interfaces I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me, or suggestions for revising it. If you are looking to buy your first audio interface, and the guide is helpful or influences your purchase in any way please let me know, and also let me know if it doesn't help you and what you were looking for that wasn't included in the guide: Guide to Buying An Audio Interface Thanks in advance

I've heard good things about both (actually used the presonus audibox, not the scarlett). To my knowledge the focusrite has slightly better preamps, but i've also heard complaints about the limit of the headphone jack output (not that big of an issue i don't think). For the price they're actually both sweet deals, and fanboys of both sides are going to argue one is better than the other. The scarlett has a higher sample rate, might be your better option (although I personally don't hear an audible difference between 48 and 96 kHz...).

I'm currently looking for a new interface that has between 2-4 inputs (only record rap and vocals) hat has good preamps , would be considered a "professional" interface, and would make rap vocals sound great! Any suggestions???

I'm currently looking for a new interface that has between 2-4 inputs (only record rap and vocals) hat has good preamps , would be considered a "professional" interface, and would make rap vocals sound great! Any suggestions???
Well for only rap vocals why do you need 4 inputs ? Just curious. Preamps do make a huge difference in the quality of recording, but there are many other factors that will come into play w/ having good vocals. Of course it starts with the original source (how the person sounds), then you got your mic that can color the sound, some are going to have better response in different frequency ranges, proximity effect, etc...Recording technique and mic placement, the room you're recording in, and also the mix, and how the vocals sit in the mix. I guess before I'd recommend a specific interface I'd need to know your price range, as most of your lower end interfaces are going to have somewhat similar preamps (not all of them but most) so it's more a question of functionality and features at the lower tiers IMO. You might also consider a separate preamp that's not inside of an audio interface, as most of my favorite preamps have been external from interfaces. What type of setup are you currently running?

I currently only have my Mac and Logic pro 9 and a c100 Behringer mic.
I guess 2-4 inputs so I can have more options in case there is a good interface with only 4 input options, but no more needed. I'm willing to spend up to 500, but it's got to be worth the price! Maybe you can also suggest what's a good mic too, in case you're eyeing that c100 mic I said. I also have a DBX 160A compressor, but I'm going to sell it so I can buy this other stuff and just use the logic compression.

I currently only have my Mac and Logic pro 9 and a c100 Behringer mic.
I guess 2-4 inputs so I can have more options in case there is a good interface with only 4 input options, but no more needed. I'm willing to spend up to 500, but it's got to be worth the price! Maybe you can also suggest what's a good mic too, in case you're eyeing that c100 mic I said. I also have a DBX 160A compressor, but I'm going to sell it so I can buy this other stuff and just use the logic compression.
Alright I got you, check your inbox.

Hey man, I hope this is the right place for this question - mods feel free to move it if not. I'm looking for the most inexpensive interface I can get to fulfill my needs and wondered if you could help. It's to use with maschine. I want to be able to connect a guitar/bass/microphone and sample straight into maschine if possible. Can you suggest a good interface?

here's a quick guide on recording into maschine via an audio interface, should explain it for you. I don't think the most inexpensive interface is necessarily the best route to go but if that's really what you want here's a list of audio interfaces going from lowest price to highest . Since you want the most inexpensive I'll just assume that you aren't worried about good preamps, bit depth or sample rate. Make sure the one you pick has enough inputs at least for what you're trying to do and it is compatible with your system (ie you have the correct port to hook it up, and your system specs are adequate, and your OS is supported).

Last edited:
Back