Audio Interface + PreAMP???

cordovastyle

sup future producers

I had a question. I have a m-audio profire 610 which, I only bought because of the compatibility with pro tools m-powered 8. Now That pro tools 9 has come out with limitless compatibility I am contemplating selling it.

This is my dilema

The 610 Sounds pretty good and seems to have a very clean and flat response. Unfortunately I feel I am lacking a Quality Pre-amp. Possibly a tube pre amp? The 610 is supposed to have very good quality Octane pre amps inside.

The question is should I have pre amps in my interface and external pre amps. Do I need both or will I good interface with sick pre amps be better.

Any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance

There really isn't a exact answer to this. Yea you will find single channel pre's that blow your interfaces pre's out of the water but at the same time depending on the mic you have or plan to be using it may not be really necessary. Truthfully everyone who considers them self an engineer can benefit from having multiple preamp flavors around. But depending on your budget it may not be the most important thing of the moment. Hope this helps.

ya know that makes sense. I think you answered the question perfectly. I should stay with a good clean flat response and have an arsenal of different effects and pre amps to build a sound or get the right sound

I like their control panel. Very flexible routing, extremely helpful when creating headphone mixes.

Back