Audio interface and studio monitors

seventhirty

Whats up everybody

I'm pretty sure you get asked what I'm about to ask super frequently but anyway..

I have a SHURE SM 58 ( Mexican, 40th anniversary edition ) mic and a PC. What I want to do is to record rap vocals at home so that I can listen to them later and see what i can improve. After I've recorded something that i like, i'll go to a studio and record it and have it mixed and mastered by someone who knows this stuff ( I i really don't know much about mixing and mastering ). I'm considering buying an M-AUDIO FAST TRACK MK II audio interface and a pair of ALESIS M1 ACTIVE 320 USB studio monitors for recording the demo at home and to listening to it.. and to other music as well.. : )
my question is : is that a good choice( that's what i can afford at this moment ) and is it all i need for an average demo( the person that recommended them told me that if i dont need a pre amp with that audio interface )
thanks for taking the time.. : )

Make sure that the drivers for the interface will work well with your computer. I've seen A LOT of people overlook this throughout the years. Make sure that you research what you buy.

You don't really need monitors if you're not going to be mixing or mastering yet. You should use the money that you're planning on spending for those low quality monitors and get some nice computer speaker. I say that because you're not going be mixing or mastering, so you don't really need a pair of studio monitors.

thanks a lot for answering : )

about the drivers : there are ASIO drivers for the M-AUDIO FAST TRACK MK II audio interface, won't that work well with a very little latency? what other things should i research about my pc ? i think there's no chance of having the audio interface and testing it at home with the option of returning it and having my money back if something doesnt work correctly.
about the studio monitors : i'm also making my beats so i am mixing in a way. studio monitors are made to let you hear the song as it sounds by default ( i mean no additional EQs and stuff ) right? please correct me if a am wrong here. what is the advantage of buying a computer speaker, rather than a pair of studio monitors for the same price?

thanks again : )

studio monitors have a, relatively, flat frequency response. The sound coming from the units will be a true representation of the sound waves being play through them. But that has little to do with creating a beat. A hard hitting, original kick wave will hit hard on no matter what speakers you listening back on. Once you understand the characteristics of your speakers, you'll be able get great mixes from your beats. A few of these projects where mix with $20 Sony ear buds, lol.

Computer speakers will save you money and allow you to simply make beats; that's the advantage buying speakers instead of monitors. It seems like you're on a tight budget so you could use the savings. Just get a nice 2.1 set up on sale somewhere. Use the interface for vocals or keys, you know? Plus, if you want to actually recognize the benefit of studio monitors, you'll need to get good with using regular speakers.

Get monitors when you start recording live instruments or can afford to spend closer to $350-$500. I'm sure that you're excited about getting new gear, but invest into quality gear. Try to look at your studio gear as investments; like a house or car. Get gear that you would be proud to keep forever. Trust me on this one bro because it ain't cool when you have to re-buy gear; that's a hell of an expense and can leave you kicking your self later.

thanks a whole lot, man, i really appreciate your advice.
ok so then i'll buy the audio interface and buy a 2.1. and hook the 2.1 and the mic to the audio interface right? the friend that recommended the M-AUDIO FAST TRACK MK II told me that if i get it i wont need to buy a pre amp, is that correct?
so far i've been making beats using headphones too ( these little ones that go deep into your ear isolating sound from outside ) as i have a 5.1 that i can't hook to my built in sound card because it has only 3 inputs - mic, line in and output and i've been listening to the song's left channel with very low mids which sux. that's why i wanted to buy better gear for listening to music and making beats.
ok, so the right thing to do is to hook the 2.1 to the audio interface through the white and red outputs ( sorry, but i dont know about this stuff and how those are called.. ) on the back ( sorry i'm not allowed to post pictures but if can see it in google pictures, its written line outputs above them )

right?
and last thing : can you suggest any nice 2.1s for about $100 or a company that makes nice 2.1s.

thanks again, i'm trully grateful for you taking the time to answer me. i know i should read more about all this stuff..

ok, so the right thing to do is to hook the 2.1 to the audio interface through the white and red outputs
That should do it : )

the friend that recommended the M-AUDIO FAST TRACK MK II told me that if i get it i wont need to buy a pre amp, is that correct?
This looks right : )

can you suggest any nice 2.1s for about $100 or a company that makes nice 2.1s.
Here you go : ) You should go to you look computer store and listen to the speakers that they have set up. Or, just go by users online; can't go wrong that way.

I'm glad that I was able to help. Visit the Website for more help or leave me a Visitors Message if you have questions regarding another topic. Hope everything works out for you.

Back