Audio Interface Advice

beatsbangin

So I am currently looking to replace my stock laptop soundcard for improved response and reduced cpu usage. The laptop only has a mic input and one audio output. Now i understand that with audio interfaces I am to consider drivers and DAC's but i am unsure of the required inputs and outputs for my setup. Basically i have a Keystation Pro88 and mpc 500 sending midi through usb, so until now the issue has been with achieving better sound quality. However i recently bought a midi hercules dj controller. For this i understand i would need 2 outputs on my audio interface. Then i see interfaces with 8 inputs in a similar price bracket and i think what could they all be needed for? gut instinct tells me the more the merrier but i dont really want to unnecessarily fork out more cash for what will ultimately be a more bulky unit. Would like to limit the price to 200-300 if possible.

Well, 8 inputs fill up pretty quickly if you have a) external keyboards/rack modules/multiple mics (for drums, for example) and/or b) external effects or c) you want to mix with an outboard console (in which case you'll probably need more of them)...

But in your case, you'll probably do fine with 4 inputs - 2 from the Hercules, two from the MPC.

Hey man cheers for the reply.
I guess the thing is i use predominantly midi/usb controllers so as far as audio inputs i dont even know if require any. I guess it WOuld be good to have audio output input ports as an option for later down the track. I guess i am after something with midi ports and solid drivers for low latency with high cpu software synths. The hercules dj control requires 2 outputs (or inputs??) to allow playback thorugh both the headphones and speakers simultaneously.

Back