ASR X Sequencer... why is it trash?

2crunk

hi im thinking about getting a asrx (pro) as its dirt cheap plus has the ability to synthesise and sample.

can anyone with experience using one tell me why EVERYONE says the sequencer is ****ty? is it just the timing issue, although this is a BIG issue. i pretty much want my drums tightly quantised and i make dirty south style tracks.

The sequencer hiccups sometimes. I limped through this problem for 2 yrs.
Don't let that discourage you however. The X-pro is IMO a tight machine once you learn it. I still use it (even the sequencer)& I have an MPC. If this is your 1st sampler you will love it!!!

what sorta hiccups?

are the 808 ROM sounds good?

is the synthesiser any good for basslines/leads etc

I had no problems with the ASR X PRo-I loved it actually. I just wasn't feeling how you edit sample so I got an mp. However the sequencer is cool-I'm trying to find one now for like $300.00 and I'ma get it-but def. pick one up and you'll be satisfied. I guarantee.

I don't use the seq. I have an MPC for that. You must get the urban dance card installed though.

ASR X...uh hum = F*CKIN GARBAGE...Don't wast your money. This is the worst piece of gear Ensoniq ever made. They were trying to compete with the drum pad style samplers like MPC's and SP's and it did not work...to each its own.

Good Luck.

pay attention. If you can get an ASR-X with the urban dance card for less than $500. GET IT. The FX on the ASR-X are the same as the ASR-10 and come from the legendary DP-4 FX unit. This is PART of the reason people like the ASR-10 (it IS a completely different sampling engine though). For $500 you can get some kick ass FX and 24 MB of great sounds. I think that is worth it. Even if you think the sequencer and the sampler engine sucks.

MAD T said:
I don't use the seq. I have an MPC for that. You must get the urban dance card installed though.

i sold of my urban dance card. i hated those sounds on it. i originally paid $285 for my x with the card in it, then i sold the dance card for $275.

edit: oh, and the asr-x does not suck. it actually does have a better sampler than the mpc, and the sequencer is pretty good. i used to complain about it, but once i learned how to use it, i found out that it is actually very capable.

oh well, like you said, to each his own.

Last edited:
if you are doing southern style hip-hop and expect to use 808's why are you getting a sampler. If you want a super quantized sound save your money, buy an 808 sample kit and use your reason or fruity loops. Samplers are for sampling and using swing and humanization, if you are looking to do the oposite why spend money?

Back