ASR-88 -> Can't play instruments / Good software to record with?

D

DopeByDesign

TL;DR -> 1) I need a software recommendation to record/sequence from my ASR-88 2) I can't play instruments on the ASR-88

Hi,
So if you will please bear with me, this is my current setup: ASR-88, 2 Technics 1200s, 1 Vestax 05 Mixer, 1 Mackie Tapco 6306 Mixer, Roland MA-8 Monitors. I have two 1/4 to 1/4 cables running from the Main Outs of the ASR into the Instrument In's (Channel 1-2) of the Tapco and a dual RCA running from the Audio Input of the ASR into the Line Out (2) of the Vestax. Then another dual RCA is running from the Line out (1) of the Vestax into the Line In (Channel 3/4) of the Tapco. And lastly, a dual RCA is going from the main out of the Tapco into my Monitors.

My question: I've tried playing my bass guitar to sample onto the ASR but for some reason I can't hear it. I've simply unplugged one of the 1/4 cables out of the Tapco and into the guitar (that's how they say to do it in the manual) but it won't play in the ASR. I was thinking maybe getting a 1/4 to dual RCA cable and running it into the Vestax but that's unnecessary right?

Also, on a sort of unrelated note, does anyone know of a good recording program to use/how would I set it up? The ASR's sequencer is fine but I think a software recorder/sequencer would make things so much easier. I was looking at Avid Recording Studio (M-Audio Fast Track USB Interface + Pro Tools SE Software) because of the price but I haven't been able to find any good reviews. As for setup I'm guessing I would just run the Main outs of the Tapco into my computer instead of into the monitors?

Thanks very much for any help anyone could provide.

Back