Artist-producer problem need help asap!

Valair

So basically, I've written a song I really think is good and definately want it to be on my upcoming first ep, but here's the thing. The producer I usually work with got me signed to this music label he was signed to as a producer himself, after recording a song of his, on which I was featured. I was very happy with that, because what starting singer wouldn't be happy with a chance of being signed to a label right? When I finished the chords and lyrics to my new song I didn't know what to do with it, 'cause I can't produce myself, so I sent it to the producer, knowing that this producer doesn't really look at music the way I do. His perspective on music is more electro/pop/alternative techno where mine's pretty much the opposite, I want to make jazz/soul/hiphop/funk type of songs. Anyway, he emailed me back saying he liked it and thought he could do something good with it and he said how he thought the track would benefit from a modern edge to it. At that point I was freaking out, thinking he was gonna **** the whole vibe of how I intended the song to be up. I know for a fact he's never gonna make it the way I want it to sound, because our music tastes differ too much.
Chances are he's gonna finish it the way he thinks the record should sound, me getting dropped by the label and the producer after I tell him the song didn't turn out the way I imagined it and left behind with no song, they might even release my song with someone else doing the vocals. So what am I to do here?
Sorry for this long post, but I could use the help at this point!
Peace n love
Valair

Well you have to go in there and record anyway, if/when you have seen the beat you can easily see if it matches your style. If not you can deny that perticular beat. If he can't produce your style just drop 10-15 dollars on a beat from somebody who can. The label won't drop you for making something happen under your own accord.

Well you have to go in there and record anyway, if/when you have seen the beat you can easily see if it matches your style. If not you can deny that perticular beat. If he can't produce your style just drop 10-15 dollars on a beat from somebody who can. The label won't drop you for making something happen under your own accord.
True you do have a right to give your opinions to the label and if they didn't want to work with your style im pretty sure they wouldn't have signed ya but anyways good luck!!

Getting dropped might actually be what's best for you... If your label's A&R aren't providing you with a producer that understands what you're trying to do musically then that music is gonna feel pretty pointless to you.
You need to have frank conversations (being careful not to appear on the attack) with both the label and the producer about how you all see the direction you're currently set on.

Never be scared to voice your opinion in a constructive manner. Maybe you can show him some music that you're into so he has an idea of the sound you're going for and maybe he can make that happen for you. It's always worth a shot! Just make sure to stay hands on and if he can't deliver the sound try finding another producer.

Back