are these tracks too weird?

Lodger

Certified Funk Master
Hey, all

although i dj, I'm also a producer. I produce mostly alt. hip hop. I'm trying to get myself played out more and develop more of a listener-base. Recently I got a chance to play a few of my tracks for a couple of local dj's and they had said that although they liked these tracks, they wouldn't be comfortable mixing them into their sets because they dont really mesh up with the conventions of what they're making (they were also spinning mostly sample-based hip hop). As a producer are these tracks falling away from dj friendly? Any feedback is appreciated

www.myspace.com/dubsquadron9

-Lodger

Last edited:
Tracks aren't commercial enough. I don't know what I would spin them behind or if the crowd would continue to move with it. Too risky for a DJ to drop. Keep makin' tracks! a hit will come out eventually.

Tracks aren't commercial enough. I don't know what I would spin them behind or if the crowd would continue to move with it. Too risky for a DJ to drop. Keep makin' tracks! a hit will come out eventually.

To be honest I think that is bull**** advice.

I like your songs, they have some substance, I don't think they are **** enough to get played in a club but maybe a bar, or a restaurant, on alternative radio. It's a good sound you have there, I wouldn't compromise for DJs who can only mix dance music.

weird isn't the right word, i think they are dope!

but in a club situation, i don't think they'd fit the whole move the crowd kinda thing, lounge/bar type environment different story, they would be perfect...maybe drop some popular/well known acapella's over them, people might hear that and really dig it. :)

not at all you just need to find a DJ dedicated to that style of music. of which there is a lot, (here in London anyway).

if a crowd come expecting some wonky hip-hop then obviously they're gonna like it.

what you've also gotta remember is, the timing in those type of songs make them hard to mix with other genres of hip-hop

Hey man..like your style alot, it's got a bit of a 'Cafe Del Mar' style to it.

I'm a fan.

See if you can find the 'right' MC to lay down some verses on it, while yeah...I wouldn't see this bumpin at the hot spot for a dance floor...there is no reason if you 'produce' the right track...this could not be played in a lounge atmosphere and catch some attention...at all...

as 'Da relic' said...just do you, never conform.

First of all, as a producer, first thing to never forget is that the tracks are yours, if you like them, then how weird they are doesn't mean squat!

Clean sounds, not bad at all, the war track sounds like a mega man track on crack. Love it! keep up the work, and get some cutz on the tracks

Last edited:
I just listened to a few of your tracks. I can definitely see them getting spun. There's plenty of DJ's that are very creative and have a vast "palette" when it comes to mixing. It's just a matter of them thinking outside the box. I think something that might help as well is getting an emcee or an acapella on top of them. Keep up the good work.

All The Best,
Feature Cuts

Back