Are there any chords really in Trap beats?

gopener

Hello, i started producing trap songs 6 months now , before that i was just mixing records for years.
I really believe that i have well trained ears, though the first 3 months of produng i just train them with making only melodys just to start be confident understanding how melodies are made.
I was confident that the stuff that i like they dont have chords there, not triads at least, maybe some root with 5ths and sus chords rarely and the hole vibe coming up with melodies and counter melodies.Atmos, pads etc that are in the baground i thought they play some notes but definetly not chords, so i had a conversation yestarday with a friend and he believes that there are chords where i believe there are not, at this point i will say that there are offcorse songs that have chords bat there are mostly mellow stuff mostly played with piano.
I guess my question is am i really in a right path on this or i just triping?To me when chords are played music becomes to melodic and dont have that dark vibes that i like.
i will put some examples on artists to get more clear , lets say Tee grizzley, moneybagg yo , early stuff from G herbo , even dj khaled stuff they dont have chords there (in most songs). So yeah that was long and maybe confusing with my mediocre english bat am i right on that?

I agree with you here, Trap is mainly focused on single hit notes. Like many of the more electronic focused music genres, most sounds are generated in synths. So any additional voicing is normally either Unison or Chorus effects. I would say any chord elements would be found more in the mellow part of the tracks like intros, bridges and breakdowns.

There are many kinds of trap and there are many melodyc stuff out there but i am talking about dark music .To my understanding in dark style beats they have one chord played with the melody that is mostly the I chord in a minor scale or harmonic, melodic, maybe 2-3 chords bat those chords there are sus chords and minor and defenatly you cant consider them as a chord progresion because there so sparingly used in time.Otherwise when u use major chords or many chords in short time the beat sounds to melodyc.

Back