Are extension outlet cords a good idea?

I'm talking about these: http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/318596/3473403/0/1176190335/PSE_JET_EXTENSION_CORD.jpg

I'm asking if using these is a good idea, like if having multiple devices plugged in and turned on, operating it a good idea? Would it drain power and affect the performance significantly? Around my main workstation i have 2 wall outlets (2 sockets each), and i have one of these cables for the rest of the stuff. Just want some clarification or if i'm being paranoid.

There's nothing inherently wrong with power-strips, but I'd use grounded outlets, with a circuit-breaker if possible. You may want to consider voltage regulation and/or a UPS, depending on which gear you are running.

GJ

Those power strips are better than just plugging them directly into the wall, but they're not really meant to handle the power that high end audio equipment will pull through them... I would suggest getting a power conditioner... I got the cheap 65 dollar one which gets the job done.. the more expensive ones are able to handle powerful surges (i.e. direct lightning strike to your home or whatever) and still keep working where as mine will just blow but it'll clamp down on my equipment so no surges get through to my equipment... it's all up to you on how much you wanna spend on one...

Also, another good perk to having a power conditioner is that they'll help reduce noise from ground loops or just the noise that your equipment makes in general WITHOUT adding any noise to your signal chain itself... pretty handy... it probably won't be a noticable difference unless you have some really shotty electricity in your house... but still, good to have regardless.

-EDIT-
This is my conditioner :
Furman M-8X2 Power Conditioner | GuitarCenter

Nothing fancy like I said, but gets the job done on for pretty cheap. Also, for like an extra 10 or 15 bucks you can get a 2 or 3 year warranty on them so if you ever do get a surge that blows your conditioner you can either get it replaced or fixed for free just by sending it into Furman... pretty decent deal.

Last edited:
Those power strips are better than just plugging them directly into the wall, but they're not really meant to handle the power that high end audio equipment will pull through them... I would suggest getting a power conditioner... I got the cheap 65 dollar one which gets the job done.. the more expensive ones are able to handle powerful surges (i.e. direct lightning strike to your home or whatever) and still keep working where as mine will just blow but it'll clamp down on my equipment so no surges get through to my equipment... it's all up to you on how much you wanna spend on one...

Also, another good perk to having a power conditioner is that they'll help reduce noise from ground loops or just the noise that your equipment makes in general WITHOUT adding any noise to your signal chain itself... pretty handy... it probably won't be a noticable difference unless you have some really shotty electricity in your house... but still, good to have regardless.

Nothing fancy like I said, but gets the job done on for pretty cheap. Also, for like an extra 10 or 15 bucks you can get a 2 or 3 year warranty on them so if you ever do get a surge that blows your conditioner you can either get it replaced or fixed for free just by sending it into Furman... pretty decent deal.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Im planning on getting a power conditioner soon. In the picture of yours and many other furmans I see the one outlet in the front. What is that used for?

That's just an outlet accessible from the front. There are a bunch more (8-10? I can't remember) on the back.

If you are going with a Furman, be aware that they come at different price points and do different jobs. If you are really concerned, and can afford it, I'd recommend the voltage regulator over the power conditioner models. Also, you can get fairly inexpensive UPS' (Uninterupptible Power Supply) that also have voltage regulation.

GJ

That's just an outlet accessible from the front. There are a bunch more (8-10? I can't remember) on the back.

If you are going with a Furman, be aware that they come at different price points and do different jobs. If you are really concerned, and can afford it, I'd recommend the voltage regulator over the power conditioner models. Also, you can get fairly inexpensive UPS' (Uninterupptible Power Supply) that also have voltage regulation.

GJ

The one that CityBeats had( Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioner) would it be good for a home studio with some gear? I have AV30 monitors, laptop, usb hub, and a hard drive. If so Im going to get the M-8x2

Yeah it'll be fine... the more expensive ones can handle higher surge spikes without crapping out on you and popping the conditioner like I said before.... this one will bust the unit, but it will keep your equipment safe.

-EDIT-
There are 8 outlets on the back... and the one on the front is just convenient .. I use it for charging my phone honestly lol.

Last edited:
Yea that furman conditioner looks like something handy to have.. what is it powered by? Does the thing itself plug into the wall? And is it safe to keep on carpet? Would be nice if i could.. in an area where no would would stomp on it

Hey VV,

Yes, you plug those units directly into the wall (or a generator); it's not an independent power source. A conditioner will make sure your power is clean and give you several outlets for that clean power (kind of like a fancy expensive power strip); a voltage regulator makes sure the voltage stays within a certain safe range, and will not let the power your gear is getting spike or go below a certain threshold ("brownout"). A UPS will also give you time to shut down and "save" projects on expensive gear (computers, MIDI workstations, stand-alone recorders, etc.) in the event of an actual power outtage ("blackout").

As to placing one on the floor, you could just get a small two-space rack unit and park it out of the way.

GJ

Back