Anyone seen Bitwig Studio yet?

Phase Down

Defineaudio.com
Looks pretty interesting!

"Bitwig Studio a fresh new music production software, just announced and will be launched for beta soon, It is a first product for the German based company Bitwig which includes former Ableton Live Developers.
It is a multi-platform music production tool, also big for performance and DJing, focusing on flexible editing and a super fast workflow. Sounds good, I have complete trust in this project after seeing how easy it seems to work with, having similarities to Ableton, but to me a way better look overall, it is bound to be big, it will be interesting to try this out."

Bitwig Studio - New music production tool

I've been reading about it on some of the other forums. Can't wait until it's released. I'm really looking forward to it. Those guys were all Ableton programmers that jumped ship right before Live 8 was released.

I'll have to take a look at this when it's released. It looks a lit like a nicer looking version of Ableton.

Yeah, there was even some speculation on the Ableton forums that it's really Live 9 in disguise :) But it's looking really good - basically Live with all the missing features and a Bidule-like modular environment thrown in. No word about external MIDI or control surface support yet, let's wait and see.

Wow... this is the first I am hearing of this, but it looks really cool.

To those who know more about this than I do... what features will it have that Ableton doesn't???

Looks interesting, but I think I'll wait it out for a while at the very least. I'm perfectly happy with live atm, and like stillfunkin said the last version is very stable. Dont even think its crashed on me once yet.
Either way it's gonna be cool to have another daw in the same "niche". It'll probably push ableton to make even better products.

I'm also curious as to what it can offer that ableton can't, anyone care to elaborate?

these are all things that so far as we know Bitwig Studio does not/cannot offer in version 1.0.

It should be noted that the list is speculation based on the available material at this time (i.e. if it wasn't shown in the current material, it was assumed that it's not supported at all). That's quite a different matter from "knowing" that the product "does not / cannot offer" something at 1.0.

Logically, it's certain that some of that list (and quite likely a majority of it), isn't going to be in there. But there are some pretty hilarious entries as well, "more than 3 aux send slots", come on :) ... Just because you can't see more than three sends in the first screenshots doesn't absolutely make it certain you can have only three. It would be quite odd if that was the case.

All in all, it's an interesting development for sure. I'll be following this closely, and hope to get a chance to try out the beta. I often work with to-picture material in Live, so it would really hit the spot for me if this thing had a similar ability to sync a project to a video track... But I don't think that's particularly likely at 1.0.

In any case, I would just love to have a fresh, more lightweight, efficient Live that keeps doing all of Live's core stuff very well, and in addition offers more flexible editing and usability tweaks (like screensets and definable hotkeys/macros and so on). I was hoping that the rumored major rewrite of Live, the upcoming version 9, would have been it, so after this surprise it will be extra interesting to compare these two when Live 9 actually comes out.

Anyway, pretty much everything that is shown on the Bitwig site is looking good: Bitwig | Home

Last edited:
Back