Anyone know what the legal issues are regarding remixes??

DJ-High

Bad *** Mutha Funker!!!
I've done a few remixes that I'm quite proud of and would like to get published. Does sample clearance apply when the artist is still being credited for the track? (example: Joe Bloggs - Generic Track DJ High Mix)
Would say Universal or another Major throw a fit if someone tried to do an un-authorised remix of one of their artists?
It's getting released anyway but I would like to know whether it's best to release it under a pseudonim to avoid any possible legal battle/heavy loss?
Also if there are any other issues regarding remixes!

Thanks in advance, DJ High

I've done a few remixes that I'm quite proud of and would like to get published. Does sample clearance apply when the artist is still being credited for the track?

of COURSE!!!!

Would say Universal or another Major throw a fit if someone tried to do an un-authorised remix of one of their artists?

is it being sold? then YES!!! of course!!

are you just putting it on your myspace page and giving it to some friends? then chances are that nobody will care much.

It's getting released anyway but I would like to know whether it's best to release it under a pseudonim to avoid any possible legal battle/heavy loss?

I don't know what to tell you here... it is not your song and you are not authorized to do a remix of it and to sell it...

Legally, your question is like asking "when I rob that old lady, should I wear a ski mask so she doesn't know who I am?"

Also if there are any other issues regarding remixes!

you need to get permission.

The only one authorized to do a remix is the owner of the copyright.

It is what's called a "derivative work".

Back