Another interface thread

combat medic

:sigh:I need some help in choosing an interface for my new set-up. There really is a lot out there but that also means there is a lot of crap. I was looking at buying an interface with at least 8 inputs and with an ADAT input that would allow me to add another 8 inputs. Essentially, I'd like to use at least 14 inputs at any given time but not simultaneously. I want to keep all of my keyboards, drum machines, and samplers connected at all times so that I'm not switching out cables. My only other wish is that it is rack mountable.

What kind of budget do you have for this?

I'm pretty happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40; haven't used the ADAT yet, but I'm in the same situation, just about to add more i/o to it. Other viable options might be Steinberg's MR816X/CSX, MOTU's 896mk3 or the Ultralite, RME's Fireface series...and in the higher end of things, Apogee's Ensemble, Metric Halo stuff & Prism Audio's Orpheus...

What kind of budget do you have for this?

I'm pretty happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40; haven't used the ADAT yet, but I'm in the same situation, just about to add more i/o to it. Other viable options might be Steinberg's MR816X/CSX, MOTU's 896mk3 or the Ultralite, RME's Fireface series...and in the higher end of things, Apogee's Ensemble, Metric Halo stuff & Prism Audio's Orpheus...

My budget is around $1,000. The Focusrite Saffire pro 40 looks good and would leave me enough money to buy an 8 channel preamp to connect to the ADAT. However, I've had problems in the past with firewire chipsets and interfaces. Did you experience any problems with your chipset? I've solved that issue in the past by purchasing a firewire card with a Texas Instrument chipset....but what a hassle. I thought about buying the Presonus 1818vsl but I'm worried that it will be a piece of junk, but it is the same price as the focusrite. Any thoughts?

Yeah, the FW chip issue still persists - the TI chip is still the safest bet. I had a MOTU Ultralite before, and it simply didn't work consistently well with this chip (Lucent). Then I had an Echo Audiofire 4, which worked perfectly, but I needed more i/o. The Focusrite works, but I still had to unplug the FireWire HD connected to the same bus (I'm on an iMac - there's apparently only one FW chip for both the FW800 & 400 ports). Other than that, it behaves as it should. The Echo Pre8 might actually be a good option here...

Back