Am I ready to enter the beat selling business? 2 beats inside

Ronnie Benjamin

hey there...
been making hip hop and R&B beats for a while but now I want to start selling my work..
I really could use some advices and feedback from you guys.. what do I need to change and if I'm even ready to start selling..
I posted 2 beats, both are not yet mixed or mastered and not rendered in high quality so consider that..
plz tell me what you guys think..

R&B BEAT

SMOOTH HIP HOP BEAT

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Loving the first beat, the piano's very emotional and very smooth. The percussions are subtle, the pitched vocal sample fits perfectly. The track changed up and doesn't get boring. I really dig it, nothing to add except that it's gonna sound awesome once fully mastered/mixed :D
The second one, I wasn't that much into it at the intro but once the beat came, it's really good too. The only thing I can say on this one is that the drums need to hit much harder but you said you haven't mixed it yet so I'm sure you'll fix that. Really good track too, I like the first one a bit more but that's just a personal preference. PS: Love that guitar break
As far as selling your beats, in my opinion you could definitely sell beats (once they're mixed of course). I haven't tried myself, so many beatmakers out there I imagine it's hard to sell beats no matter how good you are but you've reached that level for sure in my opinion. Thanks for the feedback earlier, cheers !

Hey, the beats are good. I don't really see anything wrong with them. You obviously know what you are doing, I've heard far worse beats then yours and sell so yeah...

Ps. The guitar solo was really nice touch!

JayCay- thanks a lot man!!! I really appreciate that kind & detailed review...
one question, when you say that the drums needs to hit harder, are you reffering to the whole drums pattern or to a specific drum sound? like the kick, snare? what sound exactly needs to be harder?
and yea it'll be a part of the mixing process but I just need to know what you're talking about exactly so I'll know where to eq, boost, frequancey clean and all that. thanks again man..

quike- that's great to hear..thanks man

nehemeizcoo- yea well R&b was always my passion and I love making them mellow laid back chill beats.. but I do have some hard ass beats and club joints as well..stay tuned
and wow! that is so nice to hear! really!! i've been a little insecure about me and the whole beat selling business so it's very cool to hear that you guys dig it and think I'm capable of doin that! thanks.. btw, I left some feed at your thread so check it out!

I liked the first one, very mellow. What vocal sample did you use on that? I enjoyed the piano the most. This will sound great when it's mixed! Didn't feel the second beat that much. I do like the melody of it though.

I say go for it. Your music sounds great. I can only recommend that you get some artist's to write to your music and use that to help jump start your company. Good Luck

Very good melodies, really harmonious stuff. I LOVE the synths on the rnb beat, the one at around 50 is like candy to my ears.

You should definitely turn up the drums on the rnb one a little, and your hip hop beat had a little too much reverb on it. I know they are unmixed but it helps a lot if you kinda mix as you go, at least for me. Really though, it's pretty on point from a songwriters perspective.

For selling though, I really recommend just giving them out for free first. I haven't really sold my beats and I don't intend to, but I think after you get a few followers you will have a better chance of selling them, and it's easier to get followers with free beats. Then you can throw out a free one every now and then as a treat too, so you keep people interested like that.

R&B beat -

Intro has lots of romance and soul. Very smooth and digging the body of the bass notes of the guitar. Like the various synths and other atmosphere elements and samples that are sprinkled in there. Arrangement works just would like to hear the final version to really critique the mix.

Smooth Hip Hop Beat -

Instrumentation is on point and digging the melodies + brass. Very up tempo happy kind of hip hop. Not really my vibe of music though well executed and digging your variance and kind of soulful additions in both beats. Again nothing I really see wrong with the beats at this point. Just need to be mixed/mastered and get a price tag on them. :)

The piano on that first beat is super dope! Really like the percussion too...The mix could be improved though, the kicks do not hit hard enough imo.
The percussion is great on that 2nd beat, especially the snare rolls! The mix is a lot better in the 2nd beat too.
Good work!

thanks a lot!!!! to all the feedbackers, you really helped me with building my confidence about selling my beats and I appreciate it a lot

Sorry for the late reply... I really like the first beat... the piano was very soulful... it still sounded a bit weird to me but that's because I'm not a big fan of electric sounding piano's... as far as composition goes it's really nice. I liked the second beat but not nearly as much as the first.

Back