Alchemist Basslines???

If you're using ableton you don't need any external vsts to create gritty basslines, you can use the operator, I like to use lead driller, then tweak it until it sounds gritty by lowering transpose, changing the waves from sin to square or saw, turn on filter and lfo, set only the filter to wobble then play with the lfo amount, you can even play with the coarse nobs to make a b c d harmonize with each other. If you specifically want to use alchemist, then I have no idea as I've never used it. I'm sure there's a bunch of tutorials on youtube. Other than that, just have fun with it man, I love randomly stumbling upon some awesome sounds by messing around.

Live Bass. P-Bass + Moog. Some of his stuff is filtered out. But live is the key

Well...he samples a bass and or filters a sample down so it can be used for bass and then plays a bassline with the tone.

He might have done this when he was starting out, but, in all of the recent in studio videos that I've seen of his set up, he has a Moog Voyager right next to his MPC. I highly doubt he would be using such an antiquated method at this point in his career, especially when he could easily bring in a bass player to knock something out real quick.

Also, that technique is cool for someone who's starting out with "just" an MPC, but, if you want your basslines to have better precision and actually be in key, either VST, hardware or eletric bass is the way to go.

I love Alchemist basslines. What's up Alkota!

Shout outs Alkota lol.
OP: Yeah, the Alchemist samples, filters, manipulates these basslines.
I have yet to get the magic of making these lines.

Shout outs Alkota lol.
OP: Yeah, the Alchemist samples, filters, manipulates these basslines.
I have yet to get the magic of making these lines.

Seriously, have you SEEN him do this? I think there is a huge disconnect between what we want to believe our favorite producers "do" and what they actually employ.

My favorite scenario to reference is how cats SWORE up and down that Madlib only used the SP-303. Then, there was that issue of Elemental where they showed his studio and the man had damn near every piece of beatmaking hardware known to man.

Like I said before, I don't doubt that Alchemist did this in his production infancy, but would highly doubt he does that today. Go to youtube and search for Alchemist vids. You'll see the Moog. That's what I call proof.

He plugs a USB cable into the back of his head and then it records what he hears in his head. Unless you've been in the studio with him that guess is as good as any. But honestly I imagine he he does or did all the techniques listed at some point. I doubt he limits himself to one thing considering the resources he has available

some of it is filtering the sample, i'm sure depending on the situation he still does it today from time to time... and as some said, he also uses a moog, i've seen a few vids where he has his moog on-deck! at the end of the day, its all about what sounds the best, i can imagine there are times where he scraps the moog, completely and filters the sample, who knows maybe he incorporates filtering and then playing the moog on top of the filtered sample... its about getting that good sound!

Back