Album Sales Hit A New Low

​Don't matter to me. I still want a record deal. The worst that can happen is that I flop like everybody else. I still get a budget to blow and fans and groupies. Eff it.

So this is based on the big boys of the industry, what are the smaller labels doing I wonder?

Reason I ask is because it seems the majors haven't put out a single album in the last three years that really made me say, "Hey I need to go out and spend my hard earned money on that album" in fact looking at my collection I am not sure if I have bought an album from the majors since the Kid Cudi Man in the Moon album.

The heavy weights wanna give us a Christmas present.......that we have to pay for.......

Somebody gone clean up though......

Kanye best to wait til 2015 to drop......

Usher has potentials to do pretty good. I see the formula.

OVO artist have a chance this year.....

Seriously, who buys albums nowadays?

The only people I can see buying albums are the few who find it cheaper to get a collection of singles they like from the same artist which happen to be on the same album.

As far as the 'smaller' labels, if they are caking - they are caking off of the exploitation of the dream.

Some of us think strictly as fans, others react from the standpoint of a producer trying to make money in the music industry. All I can say is the music industry is on it's deathbed. I am watching a documentary now on how the manufacturing industry in America collapsed when all those car manufacturers went out of business. The same is happening to the music industry. Industries die only to be replaced by more efficient means of production.

I still buy albums. Copped that Cormega Mega Philosophy and that Skyzoo Ode to Reasonable Doubt. Miles Davis's ******* Brew, Cannonball Adderley's Something Else and a few others this year.
Mostly jazz albums and jazz singles these days. Music is like politics these days-everyone has an opinion but few will back it up with a vote. And that same opinionated few will try to justify their apathy with "my vote doesn't matter" and pretty much miss the point of the whole process. I believe that if you don't vote, your opinion is invalid-same with music. If you think today's music sucks, and bitter that the radio only play's garbage, howabout putting your $$$ up and copping the shit that don't suck. Enough people do that, and maybe you'll get a bit more substance in between the suckage on the radio.
The internet has allowed me to be much more selective with what I buy, but I will support the artist that puts together 10+ solid tracks on a single disc even if a couple are "meh".

Last edited:
Rappers dont make money on CDs anymore cause everyone can just get there music for free from youtube or torrent websites..That doesnt mean they dont make money though, they still make money from doing concerts, apperral, movies ect.

Wanna make millions? Quit going by the same old formula that's no longer working and do something innovative. Music can still sell...it just needs to be bottled differently. The guy with the new bottle design has the potential to rack up more than anyone ever made following another man's platform. Not just in music, it's that way in any business. Sales die down, you reinvent the wheel and give consumers the "same ol' brand new shyt" they're gonna go crazy over.

Last edited:
The current boom in the concert/touring business, revenue from emerging streaming platforms (Spotify, Pandora, XM Radio, etc...), endless possible licensing opportunities and corporate sponsorship/brand tie-ins are making up for the slack in traditional album/single sales. HOWEVER, from a music producer's perspective dwindling sales only means further dwindling $$$ in terms of upfront advances on single and album placements which means a higher focus on the publishing side of the equation and less focus on the mechanicals side. To have a financially viable career the concept of the "producer" will have to go through a redefinition (ex - producers being their own artist like those in the EDM genre and/or taking ownership of the process via production companies thus allowing them access to the same revenues as the artists they put out) or else outside of a few superstar exceptions become glorified session musicians...

Last edited:
The current boom in the concert/touring business, revenue from emerging streaming platforms (Spotify, Pandora, XM Radio, etc...), endless possible licensing opportunities and corporate sponsorship/brand tie-ins are making up for the slack in traditional album/single sales. HOWEVER, from a music producer's perspective dwindling sales only means further dwindling $$$ in terms of upfront advances on single and album placements which means a higher focus on the publishing side of the equation and less focus on the mechanicals side. To have a financially viable career the concept of the "producer" will have to go through a redefinition (ex - producers being their own artist like those in the EDM genre and/or taking ownership of the process via production companies thus allowing them access to the same revenues as the artists they put out) or else outside of a few superstar exceptions become glorified session musicians...

So you are saying that El-P is a prime example of the new model

Back