Akai MPK49 with Cubase 5

F

.~:F8:~.

I am concidering buying the Akai MPK49 and cubase 5 for my homestudio setup.

I have read that people have had problems using the mpk49 on older versions of cubase, and that a lot of the mpk functions didn`t work properly on cubase.
(with functions I mean the arpeggiator, the transport buttons, play,rec fast.f, etc.)

Anyone have any experience with this?

I really want a good midi-keyboard and the mpc pads for my setup, I have also concidered buying the mpd32 an a novation sl37 remote with cubase 5.

Would this work better?

(I have been looking at different software and found the cubase 5 "platform" to be my favorite )

I am new to the computer-music game, so I hope somebody could help me.

Thanks for any help...

Try to look for a xml file from AKAI that will auto map your midi controller in cubase. It can be an older version as well but you should have the needed files in the CD that came with the controller.

Here are the instructions:

( http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=740936&sid=87d039df406f0d0d727dd7e2396fff72 )

TO automate your MPK in cuebase do this :

1) go to (on the menu in Cuebase) DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP
2) Click on the Remote Devices Folder then click on the plus symbol on the top let hand corner to create a new Generic Remote
3)Click on “Import” in the right side of the generic remote window
4)Select the “Cubase”.html preset on the MPK disc …. yer not done yet
5)Change the midi channel on “stop, rec, play, rw, ff” from channel 2 to channel one.

Can't find my AKAI CD anywhere and there's no way of downloading anything remotely useful from their website. Can anyone PLEASE let me have a copy of their Cubase MPK49 setup files. (Cubase.html or MPK49.xml)

I'd be much obliged! Email address is pete(at)dcf.dj

Okay, so I didn`t go for the mpk49, but waited for the mpk61, and i love it, loaded xml. file for cubase and found use for all the pots and faders, BUT the transport buttons do not work. I have tried to go to
DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP, and been looking for the stop, rec, play, rw, ff channels to change them, but cant seem to find out which ones are which, because they dont seem to be named, but numbered. Is this because the device setup for cubase 5 has a different layout then cubase 4? or is there something i have missed?
Sorry for the noob questions.

Okay, so I didn`t go for the mpk49, but waited for the mpk61, and i love it, loaded xml. file for cubase and found use for all the pots and faders, BUT the transport buttons do not work. I have tried to go to
DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP, and been looking for the stop, rec, play, rw, ff channels to change them, but cant seem to find out which ones are which, because they dont seem to be named, but numbered. Is this because the device setup for cubase 5 has a different layout then cubase 4? or is there something i have missed?
Sorry for the noob questions.

On the menu bar Transport>Project Synchronization Setup here are the selection that need to be made to get the Transport to work

1.Timecode selected MIDI Timecode

2.Midi Timecode Source selected your connected MIDI device in your case Akai MPK61.

3. Master Machine Control Device
Check MC Master Active
MMC input - Akai MPK61
MMC Out - MIDIOUT 2 (Akai MPK61)
MMC Device ID - All
Number of Audio Tracks - thats up to you

4 MIDI Machine Control Slave
MMC input - Akai MPK61
MMC Device ID - 127

5.MIDI Timecode Destination
Check AkaiMPK61

6.MIDI Clock Destinations
Check AkaiMPK61

Check the rest of the selection below MIDI Clock Destinations.

On Akai MPK61 hit EDIT then anyone of the TRANSPort buttons push the Enter button to the right of the display and make sure MMC/MIDI is selected push the enter again to confirm your selection Finish!!!

BTW Don't forget to save your setup under Global settings

On the menu bar Transport>Project Synchronization Setup here are the selection that need to be made to get the Transport to work

1.Timecode selected MIDI Timecode

2.Midi Timecode Source selected your connected MIDI device in your case Akai MPK61.

3. Master Machine Control Device
Check MC Master Active
MMC input - Akai MPK61
MMC Device ID - All
Number of Audio Tracks - thats up to you

4 MIDI Machine Control Slave
MMC input - Akai MPK61
MMC Device ID - 127

5.MIDI Timecode Destination
Check AkaiMPK61

6.MIDI Clock Destinations
Check AkaiMPK61

Check the rest of the selection below MIDI Clock Destinations.

On Akai MPK61 hit EDIT then anyone of the TRANSPort buttons push the Enter button to the right of the display and make sure MMC/MIDI is selected push the enter again to confirm your selection Finish!!!

BTW Don't forget to save your setup under Global settings

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Only problem is that the
"4 MIDI Machine Control Slave" part doesn`t show in
the Project Synchronization Setup window. Is this because i use USB connection and not midi cables? (the mpk didn`t come with power adapter), in that case sorry, my bad.
Is this the only way to assign/make the transport buttons function?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Only problem is that the
"4 MIDI Machine Control Slave" part doesn`t show in
the Project Synchronization Setup window. Is this because i use USB connection and not midi cables? (the mpk didn`t come with power adapter), in that case sorry, my bad.
Is this the only way to assign/make the transport buttons function?

What version of Cubase are you running?

Everything works, but the knobs and faders are all assigned to one single feature. How do I solve this ? Like all the knobs control the volume, is there no way I can use it to tweak the VSTs ?

Hi there i was wondering if you could let me know how you like the Akai MPK61 with Cubase 5 because im looking into getting it as well!! let me kno what your suggestions are!
Thanks,
DirtyBerd

Everything works, but the knobs and faders are all assigned to one single feature. How do I solve this ? Like all the knobs control the volume, is there no way I can use it to tweak the VSTs ?

Shoulda got a Novation -- this sort of context-specific control is exactly the kind of problem Automap was created to solve.

If you want to get really involved and technical in Cubase, you can go to Device Setup and create a new Generic Remote. "Learn" all of your keyboard's knobs and faders in the top pane, and create multiple profiles in the bottom pane and map them however you like. Then, when you're making music, you can switch between these multiple profiles by going to "Devices->Generic Remote" to bring up a very small window that contains a drop-down box with all of the profiles you set up. Not nearly as transparent or capable as Automap, but better than nothing.

Pro Tip: One of your device profiles should have mappings for Quick Controls 1-8 and nothing else.

Last edited:
Back