Advice needed: Purchasing a midi keyboard

J1TheGod

J1TheGod
So ye, I found this 2nd hand midi keyboard for a really good price on the internet. It's a 49 key, can't remember the brand but the only catch is that it's ten years old. Now with most hardware I understand that age isn't really always a problem but Im a bit worried because the midi system might be outdated and not usable/efficient on DAW's from today... Is that a valid point or am I just being paranoid?

From what I know, as long as you have an actual Midi interface and not just a USB or Firewire input(on what you're controlling) you should be good... I was using my old trition as a midi controller just like 3 years ago and it's at least like 8 or 9 years old... the actual MIDI code/langue is pretty simple and hasn't really changed so yeah you should be good... Somebody tell me if I'm wrong...

No, I think you're right. Should be okay. If you think about it, everyone uses MPC 2000/XL and they're just as old. 16 pin(?) MIDI hasn't changed that much, if at all.

The only thing is, they're might not be many controls, weighted keys or velocity sensitivity. That's more important if you play piano though or you want to control a synth vst.

the only things that have been added to midi controllers in the past 10 years are transports buttons (play, record, stop ect) and usb. As long as your audio interface has a traditional midi input you can get a midi cable and be fine. Midi is midi and it has not changed at all since the 80s

how valuable is usb really? I've used both styles of controller and honestly i think traditional midi connections work a lot better. Usb has gotten better over the years but Id still rather use a regular midi cable

how valuable is usb really? I've used both styles of controller and honestly i think traditional midi connections work a lot better. Usb has gotten better over the years but Id still rather use a regular midi cable

Pros of USB over 5-pin DIN (MIDI) cables:

- Less cable clutter with only one controller
- Don't need to buy a MIDI->USB converter
- Don't need a seperate power adapter
- You can steal the cable from your USB printer if you're low on cables/funds and just want to make music
- Enables or improves communication for "smart controllers" (any Novation keyboard with Automap, Mackie MCU Pro, etc.)
- Device name recognition in DAW (i.e., "receive input from KORG padKONTROL" rather than "receive input from MIDI Device #0")

Pros of 5-pin DIN (MIDI) cables:

- Potentially less cable clutter when using several controllers (several devices can be routed through a box into one output cable)
- Fewer USB ports used when using several controllers (for the same reason as above)
- Less CPU usage overhead when using several controllers (once again, for the same reason as above)
- DIN cables are generally 1/2 to 1/3 the price of USB cables
- Compatible with hardware workstations/synths/samplers/etc.

Last edited:
Back