advice microphones

anuj

hey guys i actually need your help and it's kinda urgent so i have a small room so i want microphone to record my vocals just a beginner kind of thing budget 100 dollars in my region these are available are any of them good if not then what should i opt for

Samson C01U Pro USB Studio Condenser Microphone

Samson C03 Multi-Pattern Studio Condenser Microphone

Samson Meteorite USB Condenser Microphone

Sennheiser e845S Supercardioid Handheld Dynamic Microphone with On/Off Switch

Samson Go Mic USB Microphone

M-Audio Vocal Studio

Samson Meteor Mic

Samson C03U Multi-Pattern USB Microphone

How small a room?
Any acoustic treatment?
Noisy environment?
What type of vocals are you recording?
How are you recording them (daw + computer)?

More info would help in giving a good answer. However, some general advice - the gear you've mentioned is all wildly different, and mostly crap (with the exception of Sennheiser). Think you need to slow down a little and put in some more research. Here's the basic point - the sound chip on a computer is of pretty low quality, so an audio interface is considered necessary for decent sound quality (only applies to recording and playback, not stuff you do in the box). So, a typical chain for recording vocals would be mic > (optional preamp) > audio interface > computer. For a real world, cheap, but effective chain for rap vocals, this would be Shure SM58 > Focusrite Solo > computer (just an example). The thing to be aware of when using USB mics is that the audio interface is built in, not usually the highest quality, and certainly no flexibility. So, generally speaking, better to go with a separate mic and interface (btw - the Sennheiser mic you mentioned would require an interface - notice the XLR output as opposed to USB).

If budget and or space constraints make a USB mic the only option for you, Blue Microphones Yeti might be your best choice - quite flexible, decent quality

Again, though, do some research and be clear on the differences between dynamic and condenser mics, cardoid, omni, figure 8 pickup patterns, and audio interfaces before making a decision.

Last edited:
Referring to the above mentioned focusrite solo+sm58, i wouldn't recommend that. My scarlett 2i2 don't have enough gain to use sm57/58 without an external preamp, so i don't think the solo does either. I'm using sE magneto with the scarlett and imho it works great (for the price) for rap vocals.

Referring to the above mentioned focusrite solo+sm58, i wouldn't recommend that. My scarlett 2i2 don't have enough gain to use sm57/58 without an external preamp, so i don't think the solo does either. I'm using sE magneto with the scarlett and imho it works great (for the price) for rap vocals.

fwiw - have no problems with gain here with sm58 and 2i2, my vocals track fine, ymmv.

hey man thanks for the reply i think you can help me A LOT SO you were right i must clarify some details so i have fl studio 12 producer edition and vaio laptop with realtek hd audio & it has software midi synthesiser roland which is pretty good on talking about latop and i have Yamaha psr i425 indian & audio technician m40x that's my gear after i researched a lot about microphone so i came up with this

[h=1]CAD U1000 USB Studio Condenser Microphone kinda good with accessories and features what you say ?[/h]and as you asked about info so i'm a beginner not a pro and i'm into jazzy funk soul music old school type thing (pharrell,a tribe called quest)
stuff yep small room 12 X 8 something no acoustic treatment not kinda noisy environment neighbors and vehicles are usually less noise and sometimes none but birds noise irritates and ac and fan
vocals i don't have a angle's voice something :P it's okay to my music taste not kinda loud vocals or long runs ya i have my lappy keyboard fl and headphones as u mentioned for audio interface i know it gives better quality but the microphone is good that i have told you it doesn't require that and i'm short in budget so later i can afford audio interface and that's it
i'm curious for the reply and some further tips on my type of music like best plugins and instrument for future and what else i need now and some tips for becoming a better music artist and sound proof hacks :)

Not familiar with the CAD u1000, but it looks ok, gets decent reviews, should work out fine for you. Condenser mics are very sensitive, though - try it out and be aware that you might need to apply some acoustic treatment. As far as best plugins and instruments, that's a very personal choice. If on a budget, the Bedroom Producer's blog has a good curated collection of free vstis, effects, samples and such - and FL also comes with some good stuff. A Tribe Called Quest were great - most of their early stuff was made from loops, chopped up and reconstructed to taste. Later stuff made extensive use of AKAI (and other) samplers, and tended to be more percussive (808s, 909s, and really anything they liked the sound of). So, maybe start by finding some loops you like, drag them into FL, chop, since, sample, repeat :)

btw - just for giggles, here's some of the equipment that Pharrell uses.

hey man actually i wanna ask that i want to do sampling like record real life sounds how can i do that for me what i know these options

1. professional recorder which is handy (kinda expensive)
2. with cadu 1000 in his feature it is stated that can be use for field recording (kinda hectic)
3. recording with phone actually i have samsung note 3 and i watched we are you friends where zac records on his phone for final track i think you watched ?

so any alternatives ?

Back