Advice for a producer with mild aspergers?

QBase

I wanted to post this because it has bothered me for quite a while now, and really wanted to know what other musicians/producers thought. Hope this post is relevant for this board and isn't so much a ramble!

So I'm almost 20 and been involved with all kinds of music , but other the last year or so I've been very involved and taken a liking to house music, and been making lots of tracks in the progressive house genre. I'm really influenced by people like Avicii, Calvin Harris and Zedd. I feel I'm at the point where nothing else matters to me other than making music, locked in my room prioritising it over every day things I probably shouldn't.
Recently though I've been concerned how the way I am could affect me in the future, especially qualities you need to have a career in music and wonder *gulp* if I'm just wasting my time and money.

I've got a confirmed diagnosis of mild aspergers and though I'm much better than I was before, I'm worried how this will affect me in the future relating to the business of music. I know that being a producer requires large marketing and reaching people with your work and much more, and I would like others to hear my music but for some reason I feel afraid to do this because of my diagnosis and personal issues.

Like for example, I have always had this real sensitivity to noise, especially a lot of noise at once ie. crowd noise, which is ironic as I like the kind of music played at a club. I am comfortable listening to house records at home but I've never been to a club or festival, because of anxiety surrounding how loud the music could be like if I'd get hearing loss, and if it would be violent there. And for some reason I have this anxiety surrounding alcohol, and I guess could be considered strange to be in that environment sober!..
Yet I really look up to DJ's and producers who can move an audience with their mixes in clubs and when I make music I try to imagine how an audience could react to it in that kind of setting. I've been interested in beatmatching and learning the craft of DJ'ing but my anxieties surrounding clubs stop me doing this, and I know competition is strong and a guy sensitive to noise probably won't get a chance to DJ..

Then there's the social aspect as well. I'm introverted, sometimes I struggle with social cues, expressing myself through words and long periods of time with others so I'm just living in my room because I feel I'm a burden to others. Yet I make all these tracks and don't share them with anyone or try to promote myself as a producer because of fear my aspergers and personal stuff will get the better of me when it comes to it. But trying to be an artist means you could meet so many amazing people and friends and I've never had many friends.. So I feel I have to fix myself somehow, and this whole state of mind has affected me learning to drive, and I've never had a job, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone had advice or thoughts on this, or if its worth me trying to pursue a career in electronic music because of reasons stated above, or if maybe there are other producers here with similar experiences to mine but have conquered them. I just want to feel better about this whole thing.
Thanks!

There are many famous people that have had mild aspbergers, if anything its an advantage overall. As you may know with that disorder you have a much higher propensity to focus down on one specific thing with high intensity. This is going to be your personal key to success.

Everyone has problems when they're trying to make a success of themselves. Your disorder gets rid of some of these problems and makes others more intense. If you give up because of your disorder would you ever forgive yourself? That would be telling yourself somehow because of it you are less than, which shouldn't be okay to you.

Put your brain to it and you can find many solutions to the issues you face. I'm not going to give you specific ideas to work around your problems because you know them better than me and it will mean more if you figure it out.

Back