Adding a 16-channel mixer to hyrid ITB/OTB setup - would this work?

Binman_UK

Hi,

I have a decent amount of hardware synths/drum machines, along with Focusrite Pro 26 I/O with a Behringer ADA8000 conencted via ADAT. I currently mix and add effects inside Ableton but I'm going to be buying an old 16-input mixer so I can take a more hands-on approach to mixing, add a bit of analog grit to my tracks and to assist with doing some live jams on my synths/drum machines.

I've researched various mixers but I'm on a budget. Allen & Heath MixWizards are out of my price range so I'll try and hold out for a Soundcraft Delta DLX - however, it entirely depends on how much money I can scrape together and what comes up on eBay.

Anyways, I was wondering if the following way of connecting it up will work and if anyone else uses something similar?

Synth/Drum Machines Outputs -->
Behringer Input 1-8 & Focusrite Input 1-6 -->
DAW VST Effect Plugins (Ableton) -->
Behringer Output 1-8 & Focusrite Output 1-6 -->
Mixing Desk Input 1-14

Mixing Desk Master Out 1 --> Focusrite Input 7-8 --> DAW To Record
Mixing Desk Master Out 2 --> Monitor Speakers

If this will work, I figure that I'll get the benefits of analog summing along with the ability to use both software and hardware effects.

If this won't work, the other option would be to plug my synths/drum machines directly into the mixer and then use the direct-ouputs to send to my audio interfaces.

Any advice much appreciated!
Cheers.

Back