Acoustic Foam Placement?

Antistyle

Hey guys,
So I've moved to a new room (home studio)
and I've attached a simple picture of the room

What is the best direction to position my studio monitors?
I'm planning on buying some 4inch acoustic foams and where's the best places to place them?
Also for the windows do I place the foam over them?

Please suggest the best arrangement of foams and studio monitor to make the least noise towards the next door person haha

Attachments

• ss of room.png
    ss of room.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 153
id probably put the monitors above the door(based on the birds eye pic) in the middle of the wall with your back facing the window the long way down your room.

As far as foam, I'm not experienced in the topic but from what I hear its a rip off. A quote thats stuck with me is "foam is only popular because its cheap to make and it sells, it doesnt mean it works" for catching reflections I've been advised to use broadband panels. And also dont forget trapping the bass in the corners is usually more productive than catching all the reflections with panels, so i hear. If you're trying to decide what to do first.

you should put the desk against the outside left or inner building right then just cover the first reflection points with studio foam.... The thing that will help the most is bass traps in the corners... The bass is whats going to leak into the next room the most. Make sure if you put studio foam on one side of the room that you put the same amount on the other side symmetrically or it might create unbalanced sound.. Let me know if you need some more help

Foam isn't a rip off necessarily. It does control echo and reverb. It also catches mid & hi frequency sound. It doesn't cover low frequency though. This is ok for recording vocals in a room (not a closet or booth) - but foam is not good when creating or mixing a track. It leaves the bass built up in the room but removes the highs. This makes you mix unbalanced. Auralex Placement

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
So I've moved to a new room (home studio)
and I've attached a simple picture of the room

What is the best direction to position my studio monitors?
I'm planning on buying some 4inch acoustic foams and where's the best places to place them?
Also for the windows do I place the foam over them?

Please suggest the best arrangement of foams and studio monitor to make the least noise towards the next door person haha

Is the closet a perm fixtrue or can it be moved? Ideally the left hand wall would be best to set up against. Some basic tips for setting up your room would be -
  • Face a short wall
  • Try to get symmetry at the monitor position
  • Experiment with your monitor position, try putting them closer to the wall if experiencing a boominess
  • Try to avoid sitting against the back wall

You will not need to cover the windows in any scenario, thick curtains will normally be fine

This is a new article on setting up your room you may find useful -
Basics of Room Setup - GIK Acoustics Europe

Back