About To Get Started

Well I do plan on taking piano lessons while I learn to produce, which was the reason I felt like it would be more beneficial to get something with 88 keys.

Anything you could recommend? I'm not trying to break the bank but I would like something with great quality.

Mine is a StudioLogic. I did heaps of research at the time, but had to buy sight-unseen. The touch is good, better than most anything Guitar Center has (or had at the time). But it's a tad heavier than I prefer.

I always liked the feel of Yamaha keys, even the unweighted ones.

If you want new and fancy, it's going to be expensive. But you don't have to buy new. If your interface has a midi port (or you buy an adapter), you can use a super old midi keyboard, even. If it's built well, it's just as good or better than the new ones. I can't imagine many new features that matter much if you're simply after a midi controller.

But unless you live in a DAW, practicing piano through one is inconvenient. It can be awfully nice to just turn the dang thing on and hear something that sounds like a piano. Food for thought.

I don't know what's current. If you want whatever is new, search GearSlutz. I'm sure 30 people have asked already this month. :)

When I was a youngling, my parents bought me an unweighted Yamaha 88-key. I think it was $550? The darn thing has a floppy slot. Weird to me even when it was new.

Out of the 500+ instruments onboard, virtually all were crap. Though the piano default patch is surprisingly nice.

Even today, the touch of the keys is better than most everything I see in stores, unless you're talking mondo dollars. And it works perfectly fine as a midi controller too: one cable carries the information of which notes you press, how hard you press them, how long you hold them, and what the sustain pedal is doing. It's not much more than that.

It's not a superb keyboard, but it's delicate and responsive enough to play expressively, which is more than you can say about most things.

If I were you, I'd see if you can find one of those used for cheap. If it was $550 back then, it must be super cheap by now. And if you find one two or four or six years more recent, even better. Try anything that's Yamaha 88-key DGX. Cheap is good. New or with weighted keys? Even better.

I'm not too worried about the price honestly.

So you're saying to get 2 different keyboards? a regular keyboard and then a midi controller?

Hmm. For practicing piano, I'd say aim for anything marketed as a digital piano or stage piano. Probably have to scour GearSlutz to find out what's good in 2016.

For midi, I'd say assess your goals. Midi recording of you playing a virtual grand piano? It should be 88-key and weighted, preferably graded. Or for playing a lead synth, then a bass synth, and then a couple of pads? A simple 49-key should be fine, but why not find one from a brand that understands touch a little better. After you know which style you need, check GearSlutz (sorry) for further research. That's what I always do.

I really haven't kept on the latest stuff. But others have, and they talk about it on the internet.

In other news, I never really understood the importance of a midi pad until my friend gave me his first-gen Native Instruments Mikro controller. I can't live without it now. Indispensable for programming your own percussion grooves.

P.S. You're posting about how you're just starting out, but you have 900 forum posts. How does that work? How does someone who hasn't delved deep rack up that many posts on a forum for music producers? (I don't write this with even an ounce of hostility, just curiosity and playfulness.)

P.S. You're posting about how you're just starting out, but you have 900 forum posts. How does that work? How does someone who hasn't delved deep rack up that many posts on a forum for music producers? (I don't write this with even an ounce of hostility, just curiosity and playfulness.)

I originally got the idea of producing years ago, which was when I first joined this site, but I never really committed myself. This forum is also for music business professionals, which is why stayed on it. For the past couple years, I wanted to be a manager.

Nice. Have you been managing artists? Are you switching to production due to changing passions?

I wanted to be an audio engineer. Then in a band. Then an audio engineer. Then in a band. Then a financial professional raking in the big bucks to have music as a hobby. Then an audio engineer. And just last year, I finally realized electronic music production could be an option. (That way, I can be an engineer and a musician, and I don't have to wait around indefinitely for band-mates to materialize.)

I'm in this weird place, because I have fair amount of experience and some decent gear. But there's so much I don't know. And I don't have a single piece of published work. Because ... I never finish anything because I'm a perfectionist and a procrastinator? Or because my day-job is too draining to be creative after hours.

Well, I'm changing my day-job this year. Specifically to remove barriers between me and music productivity. This is my year. And I have so much to do and so much to learn.

So ... you understand I'm simultaneously more experienced than many here and yet less experienced than all on this forum. It's a weird feeling. But like you, I'm ready to begin.

I was helping out a few artists, but I've decided to dive in and focus on production.

I'm also about to change jobs, which is another reason I have to wait until next month to start.

Bruh, a lil advice if you don't mind. First of all, you shouldn't be "paying" a mentor. That's sucker sh*t. I made the same mistake starting out, if anybody is down for the music and the love, they'll show you for free. Plus, there are so many tutorials and books regarding making music with Ableton, that you really don't need a mentor. You only need time and consistent practice. Watch youtube videos on making beats with Ableton, there are tons.

Now a mentor can help speed up the process, but it will ultimately come down to you, and the time and effort you put it, which is why I say you really don't need a mentor. You only need to practice, practice, practice.

I read your mention about a MIDI keyboard, if you want one for practicing piano I would recommend that you get one with at least 49 keys, 61 or 88 preferably. Alesis makes good MIDI controllers that balance functionality and cost, I personally like the Alesis V49 myself. It's available as a 61 key version as well.

A few books to help you out on your journey:

Producing Music With Ableton Live 9
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio by Mike Senior
The Pop Piano Book by Mark Harrison

I have Ableton Live Intro 8, I'm a Reason user and I can get my ideas out more quickly with Reason as that's what I started out on, but Ableton Live is cool too. The two books I recommended, Mixing Secrets and the Pop Piano book, are heaven sent. They helped me to get my playing skills up, and my mixing skills on par as well.

Hell I'll be your mentor for free. Just hit me up.

Welcome, JMD! I like your enthusiasm. ;)

Headphones and speakers sound completely different. So I compose at a lower volume on speakers during the day, or on headphones at night. And once the song feels like it is coming together, I briefly mix on speakers with louder volume during the day.
QUOTE]

Smart guy!

I'm new and share your enthusiasm :)

Last edited:
JMD Quote: I'm paying someone to teach me Ableton, which is very normal and definitely isn't sucker sh*t.

I'm definitely going to look into this.

May make some new friends from doing so. Not bothered about spending some money on a hobby.

It does seem that this kind of thing could be learned a bit quicker through conversing with a friend/person.

I'm just eager to get making basic beats. Not too fussed with a specific genre of anything yet though.

Last edited:
Paying for lessons/learning from a skilled mentor is not "sucker shit" at all. Sucker shit is giving your time and expertise away for free. Sucker shit is thinking you can rely on the internet to teach you a skill because you're too proud/dumb/cheap to invest in education. I don't know why people take pride in doing things the hard way instead of the smart way.
If you are a professional (you do this for a living) then your time and wisdom is worth money. I take weekly jazz lessons and the amount of game I got (and connections) has pushed me light years ahead of where I would be if I stuck with web forums and youtube tutorials. Practice matters (obviously), but external wisdom and mentorship makes your practice sessions more beneficial-you're not wasting time. And, well, that expert wisdom may cost.

Nice post PumpT, good observation of many that take this kind of thing up.

It's just finding someone who will indeed give up their time. It'll be costly here.

But I've found a great little company running courses in Aus, and its from a certified Ableton tutor. Just need to set aside some time to complete it. Quite costly, but labor here is UNREAL. Therefore everyone needs to carve out their 'crust'.

Back