Ableton Live Tip Of The Month - October 2012

funken

Tip Of The Month...
October 2012
Key mapping track status!
Ok, I think this was in my 35 tips for Live's Note Editor video, but it's such a killer tip I'm making it TOTM for October anyway, thanks to Amaury at Ableton for this little beauty! It's a big time saver.
Key map the track status to keys on your keyboard as follows:
1. Turn off the computer midi keyboard by clicking the button at the top of Live with the little keyboard symbol to the left of KEY.
2. Click the KEY button to enter key mapping.
3. Click the Track Status Display button and then a letter on your keyboard to represent the track, maybe b for bass or whatever.

4. Click the KEY button again to turn key mapping back off.
5. Rename the track with the letter at the start eg b Bass.
Now, whatever you have on the screen, if you hit that key, the clip view will be revealed for whatever clip is playing on that track! It works for midi or audio, Session or Arrange. It can save clicks and looking for things and so is a great time-saver!
Normally if you don't use this method, even if you locate a track, focus it, and open Clip View you won't necessarily see what's playing as it will be still focussed on the last selected clip. So you have to find a track, focus on it, open clip view, and then select the clip that's playing (which may not even be in view). This bypasses all that!

Previous Tip Of The Months archive
Do you have a cracking tip that not many people probably know? Email fran@macableton.com

Back