Ableton Live 8 white keys playing black keys

apexxhiphop

So i'm finally trying to make the transition from FL studio to Ableton, I chose to this because I like to sample and find it very hard to get samples on beat on fl studio and find it easier and more intuitive on ableton due to warping...my buddy who uses fl gets his sample on time with no problem but I always seemed to have difficulty with fl but I am having much success with ableton. I also chose to go ableton because its kind of like a mpc when your creating your track, you have everything playing and add pieces on the fly etc etc fun program

ANYWAYS, my problem is for some reason idk maybe my midi isnt mapped right but on my M audio 88es when I press a white key, On ableton it'll actually play a black key! This doesnt happen for every white key though, its just for some reason some white keys are mapped to black keys on ableton and some black keys are mapped to white keys on ableton. And this isnt in a isolated spot, its through out the whole keyboard. looking for some help! Thanks!

First I'd like to say welcome to world of LIVE. Once you get past your hardware issues you will be very happy you made the switch. Make sure you installed any required drivers for the midi device and as you mentioned check the mapping and make sure you've selected the specific device you are using when assigning the midi. When all else fails, hit the manual! Might point you in the right direction. Also make sure the hardware meets all the requirements or quirky things like that will happen.

honestly idk what the heck is going on to be honest. IT seems most of they keys arent even mapped to the correct keys on ableton. For example I press C but it'll play a F on ableton

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Are you sure you haven't just transposed your keyboard a semitone up?

checked out the manual, found out how to adjust the transposition and it worked :D Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
i made the same switch as you. Its so much better than fl imo

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

and really easy to use

Back