Ableton - how do you sidechain with other compressors?

jks

Could someone tell me how I could sidechain using compressors other than the Ableton one? It drives me nuts, every search result teaches using only ableton's native compressor. Is that the only way?

Put your compressor on what you want side chained "bass for example" Then go to the other track "kick for example" and go to audio to...and change that to the bass track...Now youll see Track In...change that to your sidechain channels.

Audio To is the drop down menu under [In][Auto][Off] its less confusing in session view.

Attachments

• live-audio_routing-wm.gif
    live-audio_routing-wm.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Also make sure you have a side chain compatible compressor...sometimes I forget and drag in the wrong version of the compressor and sit there for 5 minutes like wtf.

Also make sure you have a side chain compatible compressor...sometimes I forget and drag in the wrong version of the compressor and sit there for 5 minutes like wtf.

That's what I initially tried doing. But the "Track In" chooser doesn't have anything to drop down. I had tried with the Renaissance & Sonnox compressor. Then I read what you mentioned in the 2nd post, so I tried it with the C6 SC & the "Track In" just says Track In without the triangle next to it for a drop down.

This is basically what I'm trying to do....I'm using an arp loop as the bass. I want to duck a good portion of the bottom, but minimally for the mid & hi that the loop provides. C6 would have been great, but like I mentioned, I can't choose the track in portion. Unless I'm missing a step that I have to do on the C6.

The C6 compressor has issues...it only works with the AU version. Its kind of random in some other daws too...Does it need to be multiband?

Back